Duraceramic tile

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by L Howe, Sep 21, 2020.

1. L Howe

L Howe Member

I have Dura ceramic tile in several rooms where the tiles are butted together. Congoleum no longer makes the DS200 joint sealer. Do you know of any product I can use as a replacement. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  2. That was an odd method. Didn’t make sense and was difficult to apply uniformly. I would say a latex type color match caulk. The scotch Gard on the surface won’t allow it to stick to anything but the side of the tile. They do not recommend anything when butted last I checked a few years ago.

3. L Howe

L Howe Member

Well installer was persuasive and I was ignorant. Ty for responding

4. Meaning he applied it?

5. L Howe

L Howe Member

Yes asked me if they could just butt up instead of grout. I said ok. I didn’t know.

6. We are misunderstanding each other so I’ll detail a bit better. And try to interpret your motive.

He didn’t use the sealer as they’ve discontinued its manufacturing and recommendation. Prior to a few years ago we use to apply it butted up. I wasn’t sure how it would look when dry but any excess I think just peeled out.

There is vinyl tile grout made by Duraceramic uh it may not fit into the hairline joint which is why I suggested colored caulk by Mapei just enough to fill the butted joint and not allow dirt to take its place.

7. L Howe

L Howe Member

I am sorry for confusion. Floor was installed and sealer was applied years ago. later the sealer started yellowing and coming up. I am looking for another product I could use to fill in. Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  8. That is why they stopped recommending it and haven’t come out with a replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. L Howe

L Howe Member

Sorry I am looking for a product to use to seal joints

10. Why haven’t you acknowledged my recommendation of the caulk?

I can throw out my doorstop, so much for plastic sealing the surface. I wanted to see if it would fit between the butted joints, says sanded though.( it states acrylic so acrylic thin unsanded color caulking) contact Mapei I think they make congoleums grout.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  11. L Howe

L Howe Member

i have some of the Mapei and have used it between joints. Would I then have to seal that?

12. If it’s caulking, no. I’d favor unsanded vinyl tile grout, just enough to fill the butted gap prior to where the radius starts on top of tile.

13. L Howe

L Howe Member

I can’t thank you enough for walking me through this and expertise.

14. Sure. Cementitious (cement) Portland absorb water which soaks in and is a vehicle to carry material that will stain grout as water then is dried from the ambient air. Driveway oil is same thing, the slab is not sealed meaning the porous material allows fluids to be absorbed. The other grouts are not as permeable.

15. L Howe

L Howe Member

Ok thank you for that