Durable flooring for dogs, sand, slobs

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by nottoorich, Sep 2, 2017.

1. nottoorich

nottoorich Consumer of Information

2 large dogs, track in a lot of sand, we don't vacuum or scrub floors every day.

@ 400 square feet contiguous kitchen, breakfast area, laundry. Another @ 350 square feet in the foyer and family room; would be nice to use the same flooring in these areas but they could be different.

The kitchen, breakfast area, laundry are sheet vinyl; over 15 years old, quite worn, sand is not its friend. Foyer is 6" quarry tile with a dark grout -- dated look, ugly color, but dang, that stuff seems indestructible! Family room is carpet.

What to replace it all with? I'm a little suspicious of LVT's ability to hold up under our conditions. I'm also a little suspicious of the really cushy/spongy sheet vinyl -- seems like that's asking for rips and tears. I like ceramic tile but the one quote I've had so far was @ $10K plus for a basic tile for just the 400 sq ft area -- ouch!

Suggestions?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Wood or slab?

3. nottoorich

Wood, over a basement.

4. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

As you have mentioned dogs tracking in sand you will have to be wary of any flooring product you choose
    Do not forget what sand and paper put together is called and then what SAND PAPER does to things then that is what is going to happen to your new floor

5. nottoorich

I realize, Jon. It probably isn't as bad as I make out. The sheet vinyl is over 15 years old, and there is only one spot where I see wear from tracked-in sand (under the legs of a chair that gets moved a lot). I can address that spot for the new floor. We have rugs that trap most of the sand and dirt as well as protecting most of the floor.

I just don't want to invest in something that will be fragile or need a lot of special care.

6. Mike Antonetti

Thought I replied, I prefer gluedown lux vinyl plank for over slab. Is it underlayment grade plywood? Also removal of gluedown sheet to get to a clean plywood isn't easy. Replacing one plank would probably pull up skimcoat patch and is a little tricky.

Ceramic tile requires a rigid platform to be installed over due to its inability to flex. Otherwise cracking/bond loss results.

So there's cost just to be able to get to the aesthetic product.

Floating floors kind of deletes the need for a perfect substrate, can go over felt back vinyl with minimal floor prep. When they are down I ask myself why, what's underneath, why did they want to save money on this, what was the situation.

7. nottoorich

Over a basement rather than slab. Not sure what is under the 2 layers of vinyl or what condition it is in. I know there will be some cost in ripping this stuff out and prepping the floor -- this house is 50 years old, nothing from that era is going to be perfect anymore. Altho at least this top layer of vinyl is flat, no big problems, just old and worn, a few gouges in the laundry area, that sand damage spot .... Plus it was an unbelievably ugly pattern to begin with LOL .

I think the existing floor has to come out no matter what -- already 1/4" higher than the foyer, don't want it any higher than that.

Do I even want to consider floating? I think (just a consumer here) glue-down will be more durable?

Would I do better to look at a commercial type floor? Would rubber (Ecore, Reztec) be worth a look?

I'm not trying to totally cheap out. Just looking for the best I can do that will last 10-12 years. In theory I could suck it up and pay the $10K for tile but I would rather not right now.

8. Mike Antonetti

You could have an asbestos vinyl in lower layer, should have it tested so it can be torn out without concern, otherwise your getting a flooring contractor into a legal mess should you be concerned.

Ceramic has its issues, I would make sure if you do go that route the contractor is well versed in the TCNA standards, follows them,etc.

There's some decor issues when many types of flooring in one home, carpet in bedrooms will always be norm, bathrooms may be on their own and different, living room can be separate, then connecting kitchen/utility/dining room I think should be pulled together with same. Hallways are another separation point I like tied in with same flooring nearby. Just my opinion of course, but same flooring mostly throughout may look better, the cost of replacement is higher and changed out less often for updating purposes.

9. nottoorich

Thanks, Mike! I am going to talk to some more contractors in the coming week and will make sure the asbestos possibility is brought up and attended to. I would like more flooring to be the same throughout the house, to the extent I can afford it. It's an annoyingly big house, alas.

10. Mike Antonetti

Yeah, I hear ya. Small areas you can upgrade to top of line materials, you get the wow factor and can keep cost down.

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

A Vortex granitex floor would take it. Also an elastocrete floor would too.

kitchen redo.jpg

Home - Elastocrete

12. nottoorich

Those are interesting, kwfloors. Looks like that elastocrete can be used for countertops also. Have you installed any (floors or countertops)?

13. kwfloors

I went to their training in St George last June. I haven't done any yet as it takes a few tools that I'm lacking. We did a floor in the class and its amazing. Almost like metallic epoxy look, 2 colors blended together. Mix, pour, screed it at 3/8" and dries overnight. Then a sand with a sander and a urethane top coat.

14. nottoorich

I may have to see if anybody up here (northern IL) does it yet. Love the look, and it sounds like it ends up a very nice floor.

15. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Speaking for the slobs out there with some degree of professional flooring experience for your needs I would recommend tile or stone products. Quarry tile is especially durable as I've only ever seen in in commercial kitchens and surrounding corridors/eating areas. For a more residential appeal I would use porcelain. There are endless varieties of styles, colors, sizes and shapes.

16. nottoorich

That is what I am leaning toward, Incognito, if I can afford it. Just need to make sure I'm not overlooking something that would be even better.

17. kwfloors

Here is the floor we did before the top coat. It was a room off a swimming pool and was the colors for another client that they were trying the mix. Also some of the sample boards. I was into because its like concrete and no grout lines.

elastocrete floor.jpg elasto samples.jpg

18. nottoorich

That is a beautiful floor, kwfloors.

19. nottoorich

Well, so far nobody wants to dig into the depths of my floor. What they really want to do is just plop a new layer on top of what's there. Today's estimator allowed as how they could try taking off the top layer of vinyl and see what happens but it might be expensive.

The vinyl floor is a good 1/4" higher than the surrounding floors. There are two layers of vinyl with plywood in between. I'm thinking there must be another layer of plywood under the bottom layer of vinyl. Because otherwise, how could adjacent quarry tile, which is thick, be at the same level as the bottom layer of vinyl, which is thin? Hmmmm.

At this moment undecided as to whether to find more floor people to take a look or just go with taking off the top layer, fixing the middle layer of plywood if necessary, and putting a new vinyl sheet on. That would leave me with a floor the same height it is now, and I can live with that. I wanted to explore putting tile in but maybe now is not the time.