Dumb Remodeling Hacks

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Jim McClain, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Have you ever seen a remodel project that just made you think [​IMG]

Like the hack shown in this photo... I don't know why I couldn't just look at the picture of this dog and laugh at the premise. My eye was immediately drawn to the lower-left corner where the wall appears to have been built around the heater. What the hell were they thinking?

while-you-were-texting.jpg

You've probably seen remodeling blunders and hacks that left you equally dumbfounded. Tell us about it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Don’t they have computer programs that design kitchen cabinet layouts??

04B15D20-0EC9-42F2-AF5C-6E1D45EE5219.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Who put that 3’x5’ window in the middle of my walk in shower.
    This is probably a million dollar Home.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I stayed in a motel one time where the shape of the stool was cut out of the door so it would open past the john. We got a hoot out of that. They also rented the sheets by the hour so the 3 of us helped egg the guy on in the next room. Son of a gun slammed the door when they left. Can't imagine why.

:old:

Daris

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

An exhibitionist. :yesss:

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Motels, Daris, are owned by handymen that do their own work. That's the only way they can make a living. That heater in Jims post was installed after as a retrofit. Still isn't right, needs the cover to be cut. We see that all the time with radiant heat.

I saw a kitchen once in a million+dollar home that was a 3/4 circle, you could only open 1 drawer at a time. Looked nice but not good to use.

7. The really sad part is that I've also seen things as bad, if not worse, in new construction from actual "carpenters" and builders. I once walked into a brand new home where the buyer was in the kitchen with the builder signing the closing documents. I came in through the attached garage and two walls of the garage were literally hanging about 9" above the garage floor because the concrete settled out from below the walls. Not sure who I was more shocked at - the builder for having this happen or the home owner who was closing before this was fixed.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Kind of makes you think of becoming an inspector so things can be done right.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah, I say careful what you ask for.

Did a removal job yesterday homeowner said the painter was spraying all the doors outside and they blew over damaging them all. High dollar custom made doors, one they had up was the barn door sliding type with metal hardware they put up temporary for their bedroom. Old home on water, they got rid of a few people, demoing bathroom mud walls the guy busted out plaster in the other room. Said they been renovating for over a year. I kinda got the job just by showing up, paid cash, got a few of my business cards, his wife works for homeowners Assn and knows some high end “designers”

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Certainly a lot in my area. Just the other day i did some carpet for some folks that had a "GC" do everything except the carpet. Absolutely butchered the engineered hardwood. Along with the sheet rock, carpentry. ...... list goes on. The hard wood had all kinds of deflection and end seams aligning. Looked horrible.
    Wanted to get pic's but couldn't get the opportunity.
    That leads to another question. What do you say when it's an obvious sh#t job and home owner or contractor say " so what do you think. Came out nice huh?)? I been stuck TOO many times!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The trick I learned when asked ‘what do you think?’ Is to flip the question back on them. Get a reading off of their response and if they love it then so do I... until I leave shaking my head.

• Like Like x 1