Drugs, drugs, and more drugs

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Tandy Reeves, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Reading the post about young people loosing their lives to drugs caused me to stop and ask "WHY"?

What has caused this generation to decline to this level. What has cause the loss of values for self and others.

I know they realize drugs are a one way street and death is the final relief.

You guys are from all over the world, what do you see that is causing this and is there any end in sight? Your thoughts.

2. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Tandy, are they using more or is it more publicized? There no longer seems to be a stigma attached to using. It certainly doesn't affect the popularity of stars.

3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I know a few of you here on TFP are aware of the drug situation that I had to deal with about a year and a half ago with my oldest son. When my wife caught him with a needle in his arm I had him arrested. He was no longer a minor and I could not force him into rehab.

To this day, he thanks me. He has been clean, paid his restitution and the felony has been erased from his record. My wife and I are very proud of him.

He is now interested in working with me and learning the flooring trade and I will oblige him.

I don't know what these kids are thinking. Heroin is an epidemic in some of our local schools.

4. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

O so many things, but one I notice more around here is both parents working to pay for THINGS, no family time, kids are left to fend for them selves with no structure or guidance from their parents, in many cases this is the second or third generation of this, they don't know anything else.

5. rusty baker

Meth is the most abused drug here. The DEA calls this rural area the meth capital of the U.S. Liquid fertilizer tanks are everywhere, so the ingredients are easy to steal. I have a friend who has been clean for 5 years, He says " the want is always there." He has to do a U.A. just to see his kids.

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

As Hook says, lack of parental interest, supervision, and training is a primary cause. Todays entertainment (movies/video games) featuring violence, and drugs is also a cause. I read a report that by the age of 16 youngsters have seen 10,000 violent interactions on TV, 1,000 murders and countless shootings/stabbings. The sad part is that many have no concept of reality, they think that just like on TV, you can easily recover from a shooting.

Peer pressure is also a root cause, as youngsters need to feel a part of something. The system that we have grown in and in many cases fostered is also a cause of juvenile delinqency. By that I mean that most people do not like to take responsibility for their actions. When the kids go bad, the parents always seem to blame someone else, instead of saying "I could have, should have done more for my kids".

Bible prophecy.............OPPS!! can't go there.

I'll shut up now!!

Can I brag about my kids?

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Growwing up in a southern Minnesota small town back in the 50-60's We didn't hear about the drug issues like in the big cities. When you did it was in cities like NYC or Chicago. The drug for us was booze. Most thought it was cool to get a beer or a bottle. But it also carried a stigma with it at the time. You got to be known as an alky. I did a little drinking but didn't like the feeling or the hang over. Today the only drinks I have is when out for dinner with the wife. Never more than 2.
    Have never tried the drugs other than for ailments and they are prescribed.

The drug culture came in the late 60's early 70's and has gotten worse with time. The city of Flint has had over 50 murders so far this year and it is figured the biggest percentage of those are drug and gang related. Susposedly there is going to be a big bust and it will solve at least 15 of those murders.

Will legalizing some of those drugs solve a lot of the problems? Personally I think it will make it worse. You will see more hopped up people on the street corners.

Just my opinion.

Daris

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Speaking as someone from this generation, I would say that it's a general lack of parenting/discipline that's led alot of these kids down the wrong path. Remember that our parents grew up in the seventies and drugs were pretty common. We're reaping what they sowed in a sort of way.

The general lack of morals/conscience is coming from the overpowering view in society of moral relativity. The idea that if it's okay for me then who are you to tell me otherwise? It's a dangerous tight rope of thinking.

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sorry stutter finger.

Daris

10. Sean Moore

Sean Moore Pro Member

11. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sean, if memory serves me right (not likely) you are in your 40's. My generation 60's and Daris/Tandy's 70's has seen a drastic increase in the use of drugs and alcohol.

Also voluntary polls have a historic 7-10% inaccuracy. So I am not totally convinced that the usage is decreasing. My non scientific observations are markedly different.

12. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

Alcohol, Pot, Prescription drugs, street drugs etc.

We are a self medicated society for sure but worse now than ever ??? who knows.

Hard to trust any statistics now days, every thing is bias.

13. Sean Moore

Sean Moore Pro Member

Yeah, I'm 40. The CDC uses many sources for it's data, they don't rely on honesty.

In addition, we drink as much now as we did in 1950:

PubMed Central, Figure 1: Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2009 August; 39(4): 452

obtained from:

PER CAPITA ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION AND SUICIDE RATES IN THE US 1950-2002

14. getoverit

getoverit Pro Member

I turned 16 in 1969 and grew up in Denver, living there from 1969 till 1987. Denver was known as Crystal City back then, That refered to the ample amount of Speed that was available. Pot, LSD, Mescaline, Peyote, Cocaine along with numerous prescription drugs were just a quick trip down Colfax or to the Hill in Boulder away. I kind of agree with Rusty that it's just more publicized and socially acceptable now....Drugs have been around for decades now.

The popular drugs today like Meth, crack, etc. also seem to be more physically destructive then the drugs of the 60s and 70s.

15. getoverit

getoverit Pro Member

By the way.....Please don't ask how I know that stuff!:cool:

16. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

http://monitoringthefuture.org/data/05data/fig05_3.pdf

I think we need to clarify the time frame. Basically, you're right to be skeptical of any change in data that's within the statistical margin of error. There has been though, almost without a doubt a decline in illegal drug use from the time of my youth, I graduated high school in '78 near the peak years according to this chart. The chart is consistent with my personal experience. I see drug use fairly constant over the last couple decades after declining from a pretty notable frenzy of activity in the late '70s to early '80s. That being said these kinds of studies don't account for the intensity of modern technology. I used to smoke weed by the ounce in a pipe like Bing Crosby was famous for. Now a single bong hit might send you tripping. Weed is sold by the gram instead of the quarter pound like in my day because it's so much more potent. I'm afraid to know what 21rst century synthetic designer drugs might do to a child's fragile egg shell mind.

17. rusty baker

No, not an installer that smoked pot. Tell me it isn't true. ;)

18. getoverit

getoverit Pro Member

Good point Brian...The potency of today's drugs is different.

19. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I smoked pot once when I was 15 or so. It didn't really do anything for me, and I never had any desire to do it again. I don't have a problem with pot really, I think it should be legal. No one ever smokes too much pot and beats their wife. If anything its safer than alcohol. The only reason its a gateway drug is because you have to buy it from drug dealers.

I seldom even drink, but that is mostly because gives me bad heartburn. However, all 3 of my sisters got pretty heavy in to drugs. Meth and coke mostly. I'll never see the appeal. The only thing that would make me want to do drugs at all is because its illegal, and I have a rebellious nature :).

Some people just tend to be self destructive. Some can use drugs recreationaly, some people can't. The problem is that there is know way to know which camp you are going to fall in until it is too late. I am pretty sure I would have fallen in to the later category, so I was smart enough to stay way. Pier pressure coaxes otherwise smart kids in to following a dangerous path.

Parents are the ones ultimately responsible. I've never been one so I will never understand the process, but it seems to me at the moment one becomes one they forget everything about what it was like to be a kid. The curiosity, the pier pressure, the rebelling against ones parents. It's all part of the natural process. As soon as one becomes a parent themselves the naivety sets in. I just dont get it :)

20. getoverit

getoverit Pro Member

Never!!!!!I used to make a mean brownie though;)