1. Lib McYennik

Lib McYennik Pro Member

Has anyone had any experience installing Bentley laminate with the drop loc installation method? My wife picked this particular floor to go in our own house... I looked up their installation instructions and they seem vague to me...I tried to talk her into Quickstep but she likes this particular one...
    Any thoughts and advice would be deeply appreciated!

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Quickstep is a better product but TAS laminate ain't too bad. The drop n lock mechanism will make for an easier install if you are doing it yourself. Both will perform about the same once installed.

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Its a fast install system as you don't lock in the end joints before the long joints. I've done Armstrongs system but its not much different I bet. I did pound down the ends with a mallet doing it as I recall.

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

You will like drop and lock! Use a tiny bit of wood glue on the end joints of the first and last row.

5. As Drop & Lock systems became more popular, we found a number (frankly a big number) of manufacturers leaving angle to angle instructions on or in their boxes, or re-writing, but not re-illustrating the method. Now, I absolutely do not know Bentley specifically, just that it was weirdly pervasive.

If the moderator will allow, I'll link to a couple of videos similarly perplexed people seem to have found helpful in understanding the method broadly, or in finding what it was they were doing wrong if they were already in process. They could help you assess your directions.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You didn't have to ask, but thanks.

7. Thanks, Jim!

Lib, we made an introductory video after getting a few calls from confused customers. This is an intro, and focuses on two common problems we kept hearing about. Maybe seeing this will help you determine what's what in your documentation. I tried to show the important elements as well as I could.

[ame]https://youtu.be/aXPqItNU5H4[/ame]

We made this next one later, mainly to demonstrate how to handle the peculiarities of a variable width floor, but the demonstrator also dealt with a couple of other issues about which we'd had calls since the previous video. If you want to skim through, look for close-ups in the preview thumbnail, and those are probably the most helpful spots.

[ame]https://youtu.be/Vm5VaQKjVcc[/ame]

These are very introductory, clearly aimed at the new buyer, so make sure to go back to your directions for the details and specifics, and hopefully those are correct and properly illustrated. We had so many showing short side first then long side in the pictures. (Well, not so many, but compared to how many should have - none - it felt like a lot).

8. Lib McYennik

Lib McYennik Pro Member

Thanks so much for the instructional video's! They sure clear up any questions!

Thanks to all you guys for your input!!

Thanks Jim for allowing the video's!...They are so helpful!!

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good videos, very basic yes, focused on lock system. Cutting and non straight walls could have been introduced, also the layout for first board width, scribing.

10. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Haven't seen it in a while but I had a period of time I was installing quite a bit of German Technology laminate and I was in heaven. New construction, Drop n lock, pad attached and the stuff even smelled like it was sprayed with some kind of lemon scent. Man, looking back, those were gravy days.

11. I absolutely agree on the first board width. That was quite an omission, and I think it should be part of any installation demo. It's both complex and intuitive (once you get it - it sort of clicks). I didn't know that when I was just the videographer, and I keep forgetting to do a video just on that.