Drones

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Barry Carlton, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Do we have any droners here. Not the kind like Mike or CFR who can "drone" on and on ;) but, does anyone fly drones.

I started about a year ago with one of the little grey ones for about 50 bucks. Fun and decent real time videos but verrrry short battery life. I moved up to an F100 Ghost by Force one. Much more fun to fly but no real time video. much better range and battery time. Now I have a Mavic 2 Pro by DJI and some extra accessories. About 1/2 hour fly time and so intuitive. This is really fun and amazingly easy. Nearly 3 miles controllable distance and the height is literally out of sight. Full body sensors for crash control. An amazing little machine.

If DJI ever brings back the Phantom series I'm planning on getting the 4 Pro 2.0 with screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Not me, I am too close to the airport as they have a 5 mile radius.

3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

They're pretty cool, but I treat them like drugs. I leave them alone because I'm afraid I'd become addicted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice Barry, sounds like a fun hobby, maybe some day.

Got Any still pics of you taken by the drone camera ?

5. Barry Carlton

Yep, you may be right as of now I have 8...3 toys and 5 good to great

6. Barry Carlton

Tried to upload short videos but seems that the resolution is too much for the servers. Bummer cuz I am planning on buzzing around an empty house while I am installing some LVP.

Will concentrate on still outside pics for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

You're not referring to TFP server, are you? Only way to share video here is via Youtube, facebook, Vimeo, etc. Post the link and the video should appear in the post.

8. Barry Carlton

Did not know that thx.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Barry Carlton

One of the first vids shot with my newest drone Mavic Mini not my best drone but it's a fun, quality little thing. This is shot about 70+- feet over my house.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. Barry Carlton

And this is my first "post dusk" (i.e. nighttime) video, again unedited and with the programmed camera settings. This little drone has a rather impressive variety of settings to play with...aperture, exposure, ISO. Looking forward to testing it's limits.

11. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks good to me Barry
    They are getting real tough here as to where and how one can use a drone
    Neighbors dont like them flying over their houses

12. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I wouldn't mind drones flying over my house so long as I could use them for target practice.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Barry Carlton

Just FYI, I register my drones with the FAA which makes them legally registered aircraft subject to the rules and protections afforded them. It also means that shooting them or at them is a federal offense with the same fines and penalties as if you were to shoot or shoot at an airplane.

Airspace is owned by no one and legally regulated only by the FAA currently.

It’s the few jerks and crepes that make it tough on most of us who respect other as well as the laws and rules.

....rant over....sorry.

I usually were my “registered drone pilot” vest when I fly and I try to let anyone around know what is going on and what to expect. I never hover over anyone else’s property. So far by taking these steps, no one has had an issue and most people are interested in and fascinated with/by the footage

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I just go old school and spy on my neighbours with the telescope in my bedroom...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Barry Carlton

See! You’re part of the creepers!:nooo:;)

16. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I did a job where the guy had his telescope aimed at a bathroom across the lake.I watched that damned thing for 2 hours and never saw anything.

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

I had a pretty cool Parrot Drone. The shots were Good to OK. I wanted to use it at work to get some overhead installation photos.
    Then I taunted my dog and she bit through the electronics. It was only a $79 drone.
    If I get back into it, I'd probably go with one of DJI's, maybe even the budget Spark, although when it comes to electronic purchases, I've never gone wrong with top of the line purchases and they's lasted beyond their ROI's.
    Until then, I bought a Zhiyun Gimbal for shots from my iPhone, for some of my other endeavors.

18. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I am glad there are drones around which enabled a real estate salesman to take a photo of this house which I have just sold probably mainly from the drone photo. The house looks good from the drone shot otherwise nobody would have been interested of any other way as the house was a wreck
    Drones work for me in this case :) Screenshot_2019-12-03 Greenhithe, 32 Rahui Road Harcourts Greenhithe Harcourts.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I see no problem paying half to 3/4 of a million bucks $USD$ for that dreamhome location. I also can understand how people who live in paradise can be astounded at what people who live..............elsewhwere might pay.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  20. Barry Carlton

I can’t fly in my back yard. My dog really really wants to taste that thing.

if you want to go full on get a Mavic 2 Pro. You’ll never look back.

If you think you might be serious, go with a Mavic Mini. Again you’ll never look back.

But be careful, 2 years ago I had none, now I have 8 (and 3 gimbles for my cameras). It’s an obsession.

I’m on a job right now doing about 1100 feet of LVP in an empty house. Planning on flying the MM around to showcase the floor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1