Dream Weaver Remarkable 6020 vs. Shaw Anso Platinum

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by John Bond, Apr 1, 2017.

1. John Bond

John Bond Member

For the sake of brevity, the question is whether Dream Weaver Remarkable 6020 nylon is as solid a line as Shaw Anso Platinum. The price of Dream Weaver installed is 2/3 that of Shaw and I am afraid of getting what I pay for.

Now, a little background:
    All, I'm about to close and take possession on a new 3600 ft^2 home. We are contemplating carpeting either the family room (my preference, but unlikely), the entire downstairs (my wife's initial preference, although 2/3 of the carpet is totally fine), or the entire house (what the hey, why not? Only if we go Option 2 below).

I am computing prices based on the whole home, which I figure carpeted portions will be a little more than 2000 ft^2. We can always do less but I want to know the total that I'm in for. We went carpet shopping this morning and are considering two options:

Option 1: Shaw Anso nylon platinum. It is 55# face weight, frieze (which my wife likes), colors abound (which my wife likes), Shaw has been around forever and is well known. The retailer is well-established. We would be installing on 8#, 7/16 pad. 20 year warranties (although I'm not sure how many warranties are actually claimed and approved). With factory discounts, etc., the carpet, including removal & 8# pad would be $5.16/ft^2.

Option 2: Dream Weaver Remarkable 6020. It is 60# face weight, textured, but fewer colors, newer line, dense, and I'm intrigued by the solution-dyed fibers. It's not quite frieze, but if it's a quality carpet, my wife is OK with saving the money and putting it toward countertops. The Dream Weaver is sold by a retailer with low overhead, who doesn't keep regular hours and sells out of a warehouse. He doesn't carry much nylon (he only sells 2 lines of Dream Weaver nylon, a 40 and 60# line) and he sells cheaper carpet to a lot of landlords and house flippers. He came referred to me by a landlord family member who rents out a farmhouse and used him. I have to assume it's a quality installer but who knows. The carpet, including removal & 8# pad would be $3.33

On paper, these seem pretty comparable, but the price difference is substantial. I'm hoping the price difference has to do with the branding, reputation, overhead of the retailer, etc., but I'm also hoping to buy high quality nylon carpet that will look good for a couple decades, and I don't want to uninformed-ly buy cheap stuff just because it's less expensive. This is a $6-10k investment.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to any experienced feedback you all have to offer!

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Go with the establised dealer. More than likely he has qualified installers where apartment guys just want to get it in and it will probably be replaced in a year or two.

:old:

Daris

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Dreamweaver isnt bad for the price but it's definitely a lower quality than shaw. I see alot more delaminations from dream weaver and their backing just isn't as stable as shaw's. But for the price difference I would probably go with dreamweaver

4. John Bond

John Bond Member

Thank you both for your replies. My main concern after giving this more thought has been the quality install, especially reading other posts about issues with installs. Are there things I can look for as assurance that the Dreamweaver will be installed properly? Such as asking about type of equipment, methods of install, where seams will be placed, etcetera. I don't want to be rude or pushy but thought maybe if get an estimate and I convey that I have a sense of what quality work looks like, I might get a better result. However, if a person is going to do a bad job, they will probably be willing to do a bad job to your face, whether you know it's bad or not.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Power stretching is probably the single biggest factor that will affect the quality and longevity of your job. Pay with a credit card and never pay 100% up front (This means no big box stores). This will ensure that you have options for recourse should something not be up to your satisfaction.

6. John Bond

John Bond Member

Is that a corner that is commonly cut? The equipment sounds expensive. Also, is it apparent from the install whether it has been power stretched? I will probably not be able to supervise the installation due to my work schedule.

7. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Yes powerstretching is important. Sealing the seams to me on a cut pile carpet tells me a lot about the installer. I have seen way to many installers powerstretch wrong. I mean they go through the motions but get it no tighter then a person kicking. They move the stretcher way to far apart giving an uneven stretch. With this said , ask them how they do it at time of install.