Door thresholds on both sides of the wood floor

Discussion in 'Hardwood and Laminates Q&A' started by Likerock, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Likerock

Likerock New Member

Hi
    I am about to install the pre-finish 4.5" solid white oak flooring
    How should I install the hardwood floor T&G in the hall in between two door thresholds. The thresholds is done also from the same piece of flooringon e side grove other tongue. I would need to cut one of the sides either grove or tongue. Is there any particullar way I should attache the cut end to the treashold? And should I worry about not having expansion room. Should I recreate the grove? Please see the attached pictures.

Attached Files:

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would groove it and use a slip tongue.

3. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I would be more concerned about your subfloor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Likerock

Likerock New Member

Thanks for your answers.
    I am truly concerned about the sub-floor as well. I plan to screw down all the planks then sand it and put 1/2" OSB on top of it

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Don't use OSB, that's not an acceptable underlayment (your plank flooring is the subfloor). Use a 3/8" or thicker underlayment quality plywood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

My home is OSB-FREE. Gonna stay that way too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Likerock

Likerock New Member

Hi Jim
    Why OSB is not acceptable?
    I am asking because I have it already delivered and if I would have to change it. It would be a hassle.

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I am not entirely sure why you would want to put anything over that shiplap floor. There is no need to if it is in decent shape. Hardwood had been installed over planks longer than it has plywood or osb for that matter. In regards to installing OSB over that if it is your plan then you need 23/32 to meet most manufacturers recommended thickness. To be fair that is their structural thickness minimum however with the poor holding power of osb in general I wouldn't recommend going below it. I wouldn't personally recommend OSB to anyone but that doesn't make it wrong. Best case scenario is 1/2 inch cdx plywood, underlayment grade ply is not required in this instance.

As for locked in headers like that, creating a groove and putting spline in is 100% the correct way to go. You CAN get away with straight cuts and some glue too but it sure makes life a little more of a challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Likerock

Likerock New Member

Hi Mark,

The planks are in so-so condition and the part of the floor has 1/2" plywood on it already so putting 1/2" layer would make the whole surface even.

My dilemma is should I run back to the store and change the OSB for the ply?

10. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

I would if it was my floor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

My vote is no OSB, I only like it because it’s use instead of being thrown away. The adhesive binding it is inferior, holding power, strength, all inferior to plywood.

12. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Just because you CAN use OSB does not mean that you should. If you are adding a layer to your floor, or for that matter if I was adding a layer to your floor it would be 1/2 inch CDX plywood or nothing. The small amount of pain it will cause you now is minimal in comparison to the grief it might cause you in the future, I say might because nothing is certain but i would put money down you would regret using OSB in that particular situation down the road. Think of the cost of replacing the floor with the cost of changing out that OSB, i know what i would choose.