Dogs On The Jobsite

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Jim McClain, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Do you have a policy concerning dogs on the jobsite? I used to tell my customers that all pets should be penned up while we were on the job. No exceptions. This was to protect the installers, the pets and the customer's property.

Dogs, even the friendly ones, are sometimes startled and can become aggressive when you make a lot of noise, like banging on the floor, or loud power tools. They might feel you are attacking their home or their owners are in danger.

Pets can also walk through wet glue or floor patch. This can make them sick when they try to lick it off. It can also damage other property when they run off through other parts of the home.

I love dogs, but not all of my employees did. And not all dogs loved me, so I was always pretty firm about no pets on the jobsite. Customers would always tell me how friendly their pets were, but they don't seem to understand that's only when people are visiting, not when they are there to tear your house apart.

Here's a video I found about the subject.

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I had problems with 3 dogs that loved to bite-me in particilar. The worst one was a damned little parrot that skittered across the floor. I put my hand down to shoo him away and up my arm he went and sat on my shoulder. When I reached back for him he took a big chunk out of my ear. I was going to wring his "fn" neck but the HO was there. We had words and parrot was gone.

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Pets are a problem when inspecting a floor also. Sometimes the toddlers are worse.

Today's parents can't seem to grasp the point that my tools are MINE. They are expensive. I bought them. I paid for them. I don't need them disappearing while I am trying to help them get their issue resolved. Besides all that many of them would be dangerous for toddlers to be playing with in the first place!

I have a pet story I'll add later. One I've heard many times, from some of my dad's old friends over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Wasn't that where the story came from about the carpet layer thought his packet of cigarettes were under the carpet so he pounded them flat only to find out later it was the parrot :)

5. Jim McClain

Yeah, old and still funny story. I thought you posted a video of that story sometime back.

6. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Found this

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Jim McClain

THAT'S the one. :D

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Dad, way back, bought a dog off a worksite that was called 'for sale' when he went there to measure for carpet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Does your dog bite ? Crunch ! :mad:.....You said your dog doesn't bite.....
    That's not my dog ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Sort of along the same lines...

When I first started working for our company I would occasionally have to make deliveries. We had an installation account who bought all of his supplies from us and he took delivery at his pole-barn on his farm. He had 4 doberman pinchers that were his "security system". He was normally very good about making sure the dogs were pinned if we were going to make a delivery to him.

So, I show up and, per usual, no one's there but the door's unlocked. I go through the man door and walk into the pitch black pole barn to open the overhead door and I hear GRRRRRRR coming from behind me in the dark. I'm telling you that you have never seen a 300 lb. fat, hairy, white dude move so fast. Usain Bolt could not have beat me into the cab of my truck. I barely got the door closed and all four of them were jumping up as high as the top of the cab from the ground and barking. I'm in a semi-truck sized cab so they're literally jumping a good 8 feet in the air from the ground. It had to have looked hilarious from the road. These dogs boinging up in the air and barking at me through the window for about 30 minutes straight. They never got tired either.

I called and told the guy what had happened and after we both had a good laugh he came over and got them all pinned up and help me unload his delivery. I love dogs but I just about stopped loving 4 of them that day. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I'm sure I've said this before but here goes again. I don't like dogs but I'm not afraid of dogs. I'm afraid of pissing customers off because I don't want to pet their "fur baby" (god that one pisses me off) or I try shooing one away because I don't want dog slobber/buggers all over my legs. Mostly though, I am afraid someday I may have to straight up murder one in front of it's "skin parent" (that one I just made up and I think I like it!).

If a dog bites me or makes a serious attempt, and I don't care if it is in the middle of a toddlers birthday party, they will be cleaning chunks of dog out of the ceiling fan. It's simple physics folks, I've got 200lbs on even a good size dog and I'm not afraid to use it.

It's not even the dogs that really piss me off it's their stupid owners that think I am supposed to love them as much as they do. I will, politely as I can, mention that I am not a dog person. Oh but that is other dogs, you're going to love mine! FU!.

Then there are the yappy dogs. The ones that do get put up but howl all freaking day. Some day a customer is going to come home to find a carpet scrap tied around their mutts schnoz.

And then there are crying babies...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Those blue healer farm dogs are the worst for nipping at your ankles like they do on the cows. Had one that I wouldn't get out of the truck until the owner took care of him. Another job, tile setter, had goldens that were laying in front of the front door and didn't like me so I just left until he took them to their kennel. I worked with another installer when I started and we used tack hammers on tackstrip. One little yappy dog was pestering us on this job. My partner one time almost hit him on the nose with his tack hammer when it ran up to him. Told the homeowner to get that dog out of our way.