Dog boarding kennel

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by Red Barn, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Red Barn

Red Barn New Member

Hello and thank you for adding me and having this forum. I own a dog boarding kennel. Over the last 10 years, we have primarily painted the concrete floor annually with a marine grade paint from Sherwin Williams. Within 3-4 months, it usually begins to peel in some areas and show significant wear from dog nails. I am in need of a new solution for almost 4000 sq ft. I have been looking online for a couple of months now. The product that is catching my attention the most is commercial vinyl sheet flooring. I would love any feedback please. Also, if this is the route we choose to cover brushed concrete, do we need to allow some sort of a dry loc to prevent any moisture from under the concrete? Thank you!
  2. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

First off - :welcome: to TFP.

Interesting timing, I'm working with a local architect right now on a new vet clinic in a nearby small town. I've worked on specifying several others as well as some of our local animal control facilities, so I'm somewhat familiar with your scenario.

Let's just start with, unfortunately and even though it's something I sell a lot of, sheet vinyl is not an ideal product for your situation. In all honesty, based on the type of traffic and the type of maintenance that's required, a poured epoxy floor is probably the best long term solution for your scenario. While commercial sheet is a pretty tough flooring, long term, it's going to have to be replaced before you'd get your money's worth of wear out of it.

If that doesn't really suit what your after an alternate solution would be porcelain tile. It will hold up well to the rigors of your kennel and you'll get years and years of service life out of it.

Another good alternate if you're going for something softer and quieter would be sheet rubber. I had an interesting experience a while back when working with our local animal care and control. The facility had existing 12" x 12" VCT (Grocery store tile) in it. They found that when they did aggression testing with the dogs, that if they were standing on the VCT, they would often times test aggressively because they couldn't grip or feel their footing properly which caused them to feel insecure. When tested over a rubber floor, this didn't occur because they felt more sure of their footing. So they replaced all the VCT with rubber and I like to think it helped save a few animals from being needlessly put down.

There are several pros who deal specifically with poured epoxy floors here on the site. Just hang in there for a bit and I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

Welcome again, and good luck with your project.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Red Barn

Red Barn New Member

Thanks Commercial Floor Rep for your quick response. It seems that there is not a perfect answer when it comes to the need to sanitize, pressure and abuse from dog nails, ability to be virtually waterproof, and last a reasonable amount of time. I am a member of a private group on Facebook of kennel and dang daycare owners and this problem is a discussion almost weekly. Many many have epoxy but are expressing its failure near the four year mark. Rubber would be great for not only my joints but the dog’s too, but a common complaint on it is being pourous resulting in the need to seal it regularly and how it acts like a magnet for hair. I found a website claiming to have the answer. Their solution is a rubberized one part paint. Any info about something like this?
  4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Sealed concrete is probably the most economical. Surely you would have to MECANICALLY remove all the paint, grind it smooth and very thoroughly. There are clear epoxy sealer systems that would keep any urine or feces from staining and soiling the slab for many years.

The better alternative is to use an epoxy coating system as mentioned above---after shot blasting to really open up the pores of the slab. Depending on how much you can afford to spend they can apply those products to a degree I don't believe in your lifetime there would ever need to be concerns. Yours is really an INDUSTRIAL flooring situation and ought to be treated as such.

In your shoes, assuming you have access to capital I would really want that ONE SHOT DEAL and never have to worry again over flooring problems.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So moisture is one issue causing failure, depends on who did the epoxy, weed need more detail about products used, professionally done I don’t think failure is so frequent.
  6. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Sorry RB, I wanted to respond to your follow-up yesterday and got busy dealing with a problem for a customer.

So, let's talk about a couple of the things that could be happening with your other group members floors.

Let's start by talking about some terminology. The term "epoxy" gets thrown around a lot and it can be a bit confusing. There are many types of single coat "epoxy" paints and "roll-on" single coat coatings out there. What those systems amount to in essence is a really tough coat of paint. What I'm/we're talking about is much different than that. The systems we're referring to are 100% solids epoxy poured over a properly prepared slab. Installing these types of products generally involves shot-blasting or profiling the concrete by grinding to create a proper bonding surface for the epoxy. Not saying the other members of your group don't have this type of product, but it is extremely unusual for this to fail in 4 years.

I'm not familiar with the rubberized paint product you're speaking of, but if it truly was the miracle solution to this, I'd think those of us who deal with this stuff for a living would have heard of it.

The animal care and control facility that I spoke of earlier has a large section of poured epoxy in it as well and that floor has been installed for almost 15 years and looks brand new.

The other issue, as Mike mentioned, that comes into play is concrete moisture. I won't bore you with details here with the ins-and-outs. I will say though, that it makes a big difference if the kennel was constructed as a structure to receive flooring or if it was constructed for another purpose, such as a garage or a pole barn. Very often the latter is not constructed with a proper vapor retarder or any vapor retarder under the slab. The age of the kennel is also important. Pretty much anything constructed 1990 or earlier is also suspect because the use of a vapor retarder prior to that was rare and even if they did use one the chances that it is still intact and working is pretty much nil. This could be a very probable reason why you're hearing about these other "epoxy" floors failing.

Concrete moisture is a very real problem and it can lead to a very expensive failure. You'll need to have the proper testing done to determine if you have any concerns with your own floor prior to installing your new floor. It would probably be best to get the testing done before you even choose a product as the results may limit your options to a degree. Find someone who is level 2 ICRI (International Concrete Repair Institute) certified to do the testing. This insures they are knowledgeable about how to perform the tests accurately as they've had to pass a written and a field test to achieve certification.

The hair problem is something I've run across a few times. There are a couple of things that contribute to that problem.

One issue is that for quite a few years Nora was pretty much the only game in town when it came to rubber sheet. They make a very durable, good looking product. However in the last few years several domestic manufactures have now entered the market. Most domestically produced rubber (Nora is a German based company) uses a different formulation of rubber that has a "wax bloom" that comes out of the product as it is trafficked and helps keep it looking good. This gives the rubber a different feel and makes it less "sticky". Because of this formulation difference Nora requires the use of their "diamond embedded microfiber buffing heads" to maintenance their product. You can't just clean Nora product with traditional means. The domestic products are cleanable with more traditional means and seem to be less problematic.

The animal control facility that we put the rubber product in has not had this issue, but I did go out after the install and work with the facilities staff to train them how to clean the floor. Specifically, they are using a microfiber pad made by a company in Ohio called Tuway. The pads are called Polar Pads and are the best microfiber pad I've found on the market. They make them to fit pretty much every common auto-scrubber on the market. You can order them over the phone from the company with a credit card. They are using an auto-scrubber, which is the recommended way to maintenance a rubber floor. Mopping just doesn't work well with rubber.

The other key is that they are using a disinfectant cleaner that's a newer generation of disinfectants based on hydrogen peroxide chemistry. The product is called Alpha and it's made by Johnson-Diversy. This type of disinfectant has one huge advantage over the older type phenols and quaternary based products in that it doesn't leave behind a residual. That residual the older disinfectants leaves behind is an oil which will attract and hold dirt (and hair) much the same way as soap attracts and holds dirt (and hair).

Just to be transparent, I do not sell either the pads or the Alpha. However, I have personally used them to resolve issues and they've never failed.

I hope that addresses some of your concerns. If you have any further questions doesn't hesitate. I'll do my best to reply as quickly as I'm able.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You would like Vortex sprayliner. We can spray up the walls and as thick as you want. Perfect for a sealed environment.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’ve done over 30 + dog kennels and if you look here on this site you can see a few that I have posted up
    I would use a Quartz floor with a poly top coat it gives the dogs or cats a nice feel on these paws and clean up is just a soft brush and water
    Also in our epoxy we add Antimicrobial
    For the reason to keep it from growing
    Bacteria and other harmful things to the

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1