Do unto others??????

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by tony lamar, May 30, 2006.

1. tony lamar

tony lamar Charter Member

Don't you just love the concern and respect that all the trades show for one another's work? Kinda makes you all warm and fuzzy feeling.:rolleyes:

These are solid slab granite countertops. We didn't do them but sold the job and subbed it to some other fellas. The guys who left all this scratchy junk all over the tops would probably have to work a couple of months to gross enough to pay for them.:eek: I'm sure they'll need to be repolished when this is over.

Attached Files:

2. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Charter Member Senior Member

That never ceases to amaze me :eek: .

3. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

FWIW -
    I am the only guy I know of in this area that goes the extra mile to protect his work from the activities and trades that I know will come after me. I have plastic coated cardboards that measure about 30" X 48" that I lay down and spot-tape together to create a temporary floor covering protector after I leave a job.

One local painter does it also but he puts them down before he paints to protect the subfloors.

Fortunately, we have a manufacturer here that prints product boxes. They print the boxes that Dog Bones come in for example. Seems they always have misprints and miscuts that they send to be recycled. I thought it would be nice if I were to go buy a few hundred of these cards from this manufacturer. Just so happens I had tiled their offices a few years prior and I got to know the purchasing agent at the plant. One day I approached her with this idea and she was agreeable and eager for me to have some of these cards. I told her two or three hundred would be great.

She sent me to the loading dock to wait for a guy that would bring me the cards I asked for. It wasn't long and here comes a guy on a fork truck with a pallet full of cards. I thought this was great and that we would peel-off a few cards from the top of the stack and be on our way. Well, they had a different idea. He loaded the entire pallet on my trailer and said "Have a nice day Bud" and off he went.

HOLY CRAP! It took two of us about an hour to off-load those cards by hand and we counted them as they were taken off the trailer.

On that pallet were four-thousand-three-hundred cards to be exact. No charge. "Have a nice day Bud"!

That was about three years ago and there is still a huge stack of cards setting in my barn waiting to be used.:)

Seems to me that somehow protecting your completed work would be a lot better than getting into a pissin' contest later over who did the damage and when they did it.

4. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

.....and if things get really slow, Bud, you can build a place to live with some tape and a knife, with plenty left for 'will work for food' or 'wll work for beer' signs.

Man, what nice people.

Gee Tony, after reading the title of the topic, this isn't what I expected. What slobs. I set things on counters too sometimes, but pad scraps or heavy paper go down first.......... but you still have to be picky on what you set there. Oh dear, what a financialy dangerous mess.

5. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

Yep. Been there. A while back I put new vinyl in a big kitchen of a fancy smancy place. I had to come back a few days later to pick up a tool I'd left there. The kitchen was a friggin mess. The electrician and finish plumber had been there and gone. They left all the trimmings, wrappers, dried mud from the outlets, wire ends, you name it, scattered everywhere. How many times does that happen. It really makes you wonder. One of these days Alice!!

6. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

"...to the Mooon!" :D
    Glad we're on the same page.
    Pretty sad how some guys treat others work.

On the unseen list of the careless contractors deeds, I saw one. I saw it today while working on a job... It's a topic I have posted in the laminate forum reguarding a laminate floor install where the floor needed some extensive structural leveling where a new and old structure connect.
    There is a tiny crawl space into the new foundation area of the addition......... I mean scary tiny. We're taking, exhale deeply and move quickly to get inside............. I mean, if I get in....can I get back out! :eek:
    I needed to install some furring strips for support of some additional insulation................ the insulation was 6" shy, and really needed something better.................... so I crawled through the small entrance hole intside the new concrete foundation structure to staple in some furring strips. Once inside the cubical 'abyss'............ I noticed the heating contractor had just installed a insulated flexable heating duct up into the subfloor at the toe kick area in the kitchen.
    The moron pulled the insulation out of the way to do his duct work, exposing a 24" wide, section about 8 or 9 feet long. He hooked up his ductwork and left, never telling the contractor that the insulation was laying in a pile down on the ground. It's 50 feet to get to this place in the home from the crawl space. It's a real pain to get to. If I hadn't gone into the 'abyss' to add some furring strips, the deed would have gone unnoticed................. Strike that company off the 'recomended' list.
    Even if the heating contractor didn't consider it part of 'his' job, he certainly should have told the contractor about the insulation work that needed to be repaired.
    Schmucks are all over... and in this case, under....low down schmucks, I tell ya!;)

Last edited: May 31, 2006