Do I need to re-apply primer between coats of self leveling compound

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by SteveFlooring, Dec 26, 2017.

1. SteveFlooring

SteveFlooring Active Member

Having learned my lesson from last time, I decided to go a little more slowly this time and err on the side of not pouring enough (instead of pouring too much and needing to grind it down.)

I figured I'd need 1.5 bags for a small 3*4 * 0.75" area over concrete that used to be carpeted.

I poured one bag this morning and it worked well. Now the next batch will only need to be about 1/4 of an inch which will be easy to work with.

I put down Primer T before the first bag. I am using Mapei Self Leveler Plus. If I pour the second bag about 5-6 hours after the first, do I need to re-prime. Mapei states that you should wait 24 hours, re-prime and then pour again but I have seen other companies suggest you could re-pour as long as you do it before the first layer achieves a full cure (e.g. within a few hours.)

2. dontoronto

dontoronto Earn as Apprentice;WORK like a Mechanic+Apprentice

my opinion "YES"

wait the floor DRY and Primer as a NEW floor
    wait it dry and do again the self leveling again

please Correct Me if i am wrong!

3. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

ummm...Other Companies don't make Maipei. What might be fine in ideal conditions for one product will "NOT" be fine for another. Is waiting another day and following the instruction a real deal breaker in this situation ?. Deal breaker ?...possibly not, Bond breaker ?...possibly. Why chance it if you've had issues before ?.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteveFlooring

SteveFlooring Active Member

To be clear, I've never had this issue before. Once I poured too much. I've never tried layering.

Agree that it's probably best to wait but thought I'd check. I find that some of the instructions in the manuals are cover-your-a$$/warranty busters by the manufacturers and are not always practical or required in the real world.

5. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Gotta agree with ya there mate. Trouble is it's generally that one time you void their warranty that you want it. Probably not so much an issue on a job this size but scale it up and it gets pricey fast...;)

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’d say definitely wait and definitely re prime. Maybe prime twice depending on absorption of primer or if they say dilute first coat. I believe it’s curing, tightening up. If you try to pour over something that’s set it will suck up the water. The first layer is also heating up.

I have layered a couple times, I usually grind the first layer to create a better bond and remove the top film when cured.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Off-topic, but...
    What th' heck is that? Are you confusing computer shorthand for multiplication with dimensions? Do you actually mean 3x4' x ¾" thick? :hmmm: