Discussion: Computer Security for The Floor Pro, by Nick Arrera

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Computer Security for The Floor Pro, by Nick Arrera. Your comments and questions are welcome. You may also rate the article. Thank you for your participation.

2. Rob

Rob Charter Member

Backups.

Do everything in the article, but plan for the worst. Take a backup regularly, and work out a routine where you keep one offsite too. These USB hard drives that are common and relatively inexpensive these days can make it easy. Get two and rotate between the two. Keep your working files in one place on your peecee's hard disk, then copy them daily to one of the USB drives. Trade the offsite one with the onsite one each week. (Adjust the schedule to meet your needs.)

3. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Resting In Peace

Good point Rob .. Also dont think that because you partition your drive into two , that one is off line .. its still the same drive ..

4. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Charter Member Senior Member

Good job Nick, very interesting article and held my attention too, that in itself is a feat :D .

5. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Resting In Peace

Thanks jerry , You are a better man then me .. he he ..

6. NAT1971

NAT1971 Charter Member

I split my life between two worlds: flooring and IT security. Nick does a very solid job here of presenting the critical elements for a successful IT security program; whether your shop is a single computer or a Fortune 1000 flooring manufacturer. All too often, people make IT Security more complex than it really needs to be. Look no further than the headlines indicating an IT security breach; invariably, it occurred because of human error or failure to adhere to policy.