Direction Of Planks

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by TonyM83, Jun 10, 2018.

Which direction should I run the planks?

1. North, South (up, down)

50.0%
  2. East, West (left, right)

50.0%
  1. TonyM83

TonyM83 New Member

I am getting ready to install 1200 square feet of LVP. I am not sure which direction I should run the planks. I have read various tips, but still cannot decide.

tony-m83-home-design.jpg

I have read run them the direction from front to back when you enter the house, run them parallel to the longest wall, etc. I have a photo of my floor plan. If I go with running the left to right that would work with the 2 large areas quite well (dining room / computer room & living room / kitchen). If I go with running the up and down that follows the tip of running the direction when enter the front door (which is between the dining room and computer room. I think running up and down may be easier (less ripping), but I don't know for sure. I just want what will look best. Any tips appreciated!!

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

My personal preference is always direction of the house, after that direction of the light and thirdly longest run. You got one and two going for ya as far as I'm concerned :)

Hard to ever really make the call until you are actually IN the space but from your plans of it were me I would be up down

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Your longest run is east to west. Your in the house more than going in and out.

4. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

West to east all day

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Damn you all i am losing!!

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

No, east to West. :yesss:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think the most normal and probably 80-90% of what I’ve ever seen collectively is front to back. Side to side reminds me of a mobile home. I orient my bearings based on front to back. I would really like to know the psychology behind this decision making of patterns, diagonal, staggered pattern, whatever choice.

“I Voted”!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

North and south. Going east or west to will look like a bowling alley. Just my opinion and it don't even count with my wife.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Hung jury?

I couldn't imagine doing that north to south. Sitting in the LR & looking into kitchen with everything running the "wrong" way would drive me up the wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

"up and down" so the planks meet you going the long ways as you enter the home

with vinyl planks cutting on a diagonal really isn't difficult

nor is changing directions and putting borders around rooms and corridors. In fact with certain layouts cutting into a border is quicker than cutting to walls/jambs/other obstacles

there's more to life than right/left up/down

11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Run it long ways, kitchen to living room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mgd

mgd Pro Member

I vote East to West

13. TonyM83

TonyM83 New Member

Voting is at a tie. So far I am leaning towards east/west

14. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Install them on a 45

15. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It’s all about your preference when it comes down to it. Some people are ok with lines, some not.

A very nice home we did with maple for one of my wife’s retired well off boss country house on spring fed river when the wife was on 2nd floor she wanted to see the rows of wood which was side by side. A few years later they ripped out carpet in master bedroom, ripped out a few cut pieces and went the rest of the way. They regretted carpet for some reason, maybe the older big dog, not sure.

I check out lines all the time!

Attached Files:

16. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Dry lay some flooring in both directions and stew on it for a day or so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

East west

18. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If it were hardwood it would be E to West, LVT is made to look like wood so I vote E to W.