diluting glue.

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Omnipotent, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

Does anyone have any kind of experience with diluting glue?

I'm going to install 200 yards of carpet tiles in a couple of days. Only problem is i have just a gallon too little tackifier. Instead of purchasing an extra jerrycan tackifier i want to try diluting some uzin 2000s with water so i can apply it with a roller.

I remember diluting carpet glue about 10 years ago because it was just too thick to trowel. It worked just fine. I'm wondering what's yours experiences with watering down glue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

:poke: Wow, Omni, first post in almost exactly 4 years. Missed you man.

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Stir it well and there should be no problem. I've done it one or two time either to stretch out the pails or make application easier.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Why would someone of your stature need to ask? It’s good to air out such ideas!

I dilute many things, ensure plus, orange juice, chlorine for driveways, alcohol, for the record myself never for selling to customers. Doctors have diluted cancer medication and taken the profit.

Smaller (worn) trowel, less traffic area? Lots of factors. The adhesive stated high solids, the water is just the vehicle to move/spread it, as it evaporates, that’s where the solids are deposited. It’s carpet tile, so way more forgiving than other types of vinyl.

Standing in line for customer service at Lowe’s already kind of perturbed about hardware dept not pulling/finding my order I’m in back of a guy wanting outdoor chlorine on sale for an old price that the store doesn’t have and wants about 20 bottles. So my patience is thin, I ask, what’s so special about it? It’s stronger than Clorox, I say get pool chlorine, it’s @ 10%, he says it’s 12, I say ok, so dilute it, do the math and save money.

I’m thinking about diluting my diesel fuel. No,

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is that a pressure sensitive adhesive? Like you say, I have watered down multipurpose latex glue but not sure what could be added to pressure sensitive to make it go farther. You could use double stick tape like sticky dots on a few tiles.

6. Mike Antonetti

Pulled this from Uzin

Protection of the Workplace and the Environment:
    Water based adhesive, with a VOC content less than 20 grams per liter. Suitable as a substitute material for high solvent content adhesives used for flooring installations.

It’s a wet set adhesive, so it kinda contradicts a carpet tiles purpose meaning wet setting carpet tile is usually permanent. I probably would’ve gone with the manufacturers adhesive.

7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Last time i used uzin 2000s was for a loose lay LVP. I refused to not glue it so that is what i used. I paint rolled it with zero issues, i would say if you can, just go for it mate.

Funny story... so the other day i was looking for some shaw 5000 or at least what my brain thought was going to be 5000, i wasnt too sure on the number but i was fairly sure that was the number shaw used for their cpt tile adhesive. Was in the back of the shop and saw some shaw 1200, read the bucket and turns out i was wrong. Apparently it was 1200 i wanted, oops

That is until i got to the site and started paint rolling it on the floor... i thought geeze, i dont remember it being this thick but hey, i was wrong about the number so meh....

Fast forward about 30 yards of glue on the floor later and i re-examine said glue bucket. Apparently i had a moment back at the shop and the 1200 WAS NOT carpet tile glue, but good old carpet glue. Internet search led me back to the 5000 for cpt tile... but in the end (for the here and now) it all worked out.

Suppose what im tryin to say is HEY its carpet tile. its all good

8. Omnipotent

Omnipotent Flying Dutchman

You can use it as a wet set adhesive on absorbent substrates. You can also let it dry till a clear film. It can also be used as a contact adhesive. The next day it's still a little bit sticky just like tackiefier. Vinyl planks have to be installed within 2 hours but some installers let it dry up to 4 hours without any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Slow internet?
    Early release?