Delphin knife

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Don Monfils, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

F72FB82F-CED2-4075-B69F-8B9FF1238290.jpeg 81BA6227-3C8F-4EE6-BA44-218194C85AFE.jpeg
    Do any of you guys use the delphin knife?
    I am putting together a small order from tools 4 flooring and thought about trying one.
    I like the feel of the Lenox gold fixed blade knife but ,I have gone through a half dozen of them in the last couple of years.
    They fall apart and break if dropped.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

If you can handle the larger style utility knives(fits in your size pouch?) I’d try the hook handle utility and carpet knives. The hook on end allows the bottom part of hand to do some of the pulling reducing the need for tighter grip on the utility knife to squeeze and pull. I shoveled up mine painted red in demo tile debris because it was a bit bigger g for my tool pouch so it was laying in work area.

Just read the 3 reviews, spot on

Crain 189 Hook Handle Utility Knife

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I had the hooked Carpet Knife and i loved it.
    I had a delphin knife and i Loved it
    I own the classic utility knife and i love it.
    I am not helpful and i love it :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've been using the Stanley quick change knives, 1 with hook, 1 with utility. Easy to change blades, no more ruined knife pouch, or just in the back pocket when I don't need the full pouch of tools. Full pouch is those knives, 7/16" open/box end wrench, 5 in 1, combo screwdriver, mini prybar, channel locks or end cutters (depending on what I'm installing), nail set, couple pencils.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve Olson

I see I forgot a few items. Dexter knife, Wilkee OC scribes. I use a different pouch when welding, easier to keep the essentials together.

Attached Files:

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I never saw anyone with a pouch for install and a 2nd pouch for welding/grooving/trimming. Surely you don't wear both at once??????

I just wind up pulling the install crap out and sticking the welding tools in and then it gets very cluttered and confused on those days/weeks when you're bouncing back and forth between tasks.

8. Steve Olson

Well, what can I say. I usually weld all at once, so this works out. Loose tools seem to vanish off these commercial site, and since I just haul In job specific tools, this just works for me. And no, not both at the same time. 95% percent of our commercial work is for the local, ever expanding hospital, and we wren't allowed to store ANYTHING on site. Tools, materials, supplys. In and out every day. In truth, I've had it up to here with the BS and hoops I have to jump thru; the hassles are not worth the money, I do way better installing any WPC floater of vinyl plank job. But, I digress...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Incognito

Steve, that type of work is really a challenge with the whole in and out 100% impossibility of establishing any degree of "efficiency of scale" we are forced to assume on commercial projects. Aren't they really the exact opposite of efficiency? Those jobs really ought to be understood as "in house" custom work---------HOURLY BID with a flat minimum roughly equal to a full days pay even if you just show up and do minimal production. Funny, these types of facilities can have hundreds, even thousands of dead weight staff carried on their books. Yet a contractor is expected to come in there and be COMPETITIVE. It's patentedly absurd.

I really like the idea of the separate pouch for the welding operation. Wish I thought of it. I have extra pouches that sit in the garage so one is going into the welding box next time it goes outside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Just charge similar rates to what the hospital charges you! I have no shame in getting them for those kind of in efficiencies. They’ll charge you for literally anything including a cotton swab when you’re in for a visit, I like to play by the same rules

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steve Olson

The owner has a really good relationship with the guy at the hospital thats in charge of taking bids. He'd never allow that account to go away, he makes his margin on materials, and if he has to trim the projected labor a bit to fit, he is good with that. It started out as promised, but has slowly been squeezed down to something I just can't see continuing to do. My solution is to give him a modified rate sheet, and bump up everything that is related to commercial projects. He has brought in 2 guys from down in the valley, both "experienced" vinyl guys, but as always, they are really nothing more then good helpers who can scrape, sweep, and prep flooring. But, making a pattern, under scribing a seam, knifing in cove, or even hard goods flat lay, etc, etc are beyond their skill set.With the recent passing of our coworker, who also was a solid cove/heat welding, it leaves just me, which I'm going to treat as an opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steve Olson

BTW, both installers are in their early 40's.

13. Incognito

None of my business but how is money split up if you're piece working?

14. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I won’t speak for Steve, the way I work with others at comparable skill level is 50/50. For help it’s usually a flat per day rate if they’re not an employee. If they’re worthwhile and have their paperwork together then 30% of gross

15. Steve Olson

Only did 1 or 2 piece work, but then jobs became bigger and more complex, then it was a fixed rate per day, and all materials. There was only 1 guy I ever worked with, where a 50 -50 split worked out, but he is semi retired, meaning he won't work with me at this shop, lol.

16. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

This is the time to raise rates. I believe our industry has been greedy and not willing to pay skilled rates to qualified installers. This has forced many good people out of the industry (or at least off the tools). We are left with qualified installers who are underpaid, or, hacks. Now, the industry is stuck, saying "we can't get people to install flooring".
    So, guys that can actually install properly are in demand. They will need to be compensated. Take the opportunity while that window is open. Make hay while the sun shines.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I was thinking that today, how some crews left one retailer and would they go back to previous one now the new owners understand as they’ve brought one onboard, not sure if he’s going to run crews but he was saying how those installers will take things but he wanted better pay and they said yes. I told em hope you can right the ship.

18. Steve Olson

I agree. There was one other installer at our shop that could handle full cove heat welding jobs, but, sadly, he passed away a month ago. So as far as these jobs go, I told the boss today that I needed a 25% bump on all pricing related to these commercial jobs. I've seen a pattern of them not "seeing" certain aspects of the job, and pricing for them, and thats won't happen any more. There are some areas where its near impossible to see what will be needed, but the relationship between myself and the plant services is such that they know I can and will take care of what needs to be done. They trust me, I'm the guy they want doing the jobs so I think its going to work out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Incognito

Good luck. I'll bet you get it.

• Agree Agree x 1