Decisions on flooring

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by AnnM, Dec 18, 2017.

1. AnnM

AnnM Member

I have an 1200 sq ft home in Michigan. 1000 sqft is over a basement, there is a 200 sq ft addition (family room) on a slab (off the back of the house attached to the kitchen). I am planning to have a load bearing wall removed between the living room and kitchen which will open up those two rooms and the addition. Trying to decide on flooring. Have carpet in living room, hall to bedrooms and in the addition/family room. Kitchen has floating laminate that looks like tile. I have two dogs and main concern is one of them puking/having an accident after I leave for work and me finding it when I get home. Once the wall is removed, I will get the flooring done. I will not be doing the install or prep myself (may tackle removing the existing carpet/laminate myself).

Two questions:
    1. What type of flooring is best? I do not want ceramic tile throughout this entire area but believe the Kitchen/Living Room/Hall, Family room need to be one type of flooring given the visual lines once the wall is removed. I was looking at bamboo but discovered that at least one of the flooring companies in my area stopped carrying any brand of it because there were too many successful warranty claims (the planks began to split apart). I've been looking more recently at high end vinyl that looks like wood. I plan on staying the home for a long while.

2. How do you find a good installer? I've read some of the posts on this site and have learned a few things - the underlayment / subfloor prep is key (and know that I will spend some money there to be sure that is correct) and no matter what the floor the installer can make or break the outcome. I'm not even considering the big box stores for this work.

I tried to include all the info you might need but let me know if I missed something. Thank you in advance for your help. I appreciate finding the forum!

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

There are a few of us from Michigan on here. You don't say where in Michigan you are. I'm out of the equation as soon as I finish the job I'm on, then I am going to officially retire. Chris Mha being one. Maybe someone else will chime in. If not go to CFIinstallers.com and put in your zipcode. That will bring up installers within 60 miles of you.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  3. Looking at it from an installation stand point, you've got a hitch in your plan that may somewhat dictate what the best option would be. Having two different subfloor systems that you want to put a single continuous floor on is problematic. Those two systems will expand and contract at different rates. This means putting in a flooring system that attaches to the subfloor, i.e. a glue down floor of some type could be problematic.

There are a couple of ways to deal with the issue. The "book" way would be to honor the joint where the two subfloors meet with a transition that would extend through the flooring. Probably not what you would want. The second way would be to use some type of floating floor such as wood, laminate, or luxury vinyl plank or tile. That type of system could bridge the system and allow the horizontal movement to occur without effecting the flooring above.

There are also many pros who will attempt to add a new layer of subfloor that would "bridge" the two existing subfloors. After 20+ years of dealing with claims as a result of attempting this approach, I can tell you it's a big gamble. The result can be disastrous. I have seen it work depending on the site conditions, but I honestly have seen it fail more times than not.

You didn't mention how you plan to purchase your new flooring. If you're going through a specialty flooring retailer, they will generally have their own installation staff. The others have given good advice as to how to locate a qualified installer. l'd strongly advise that you get the installer involved early, even before you select a floor so that they can have input on what would work best for your site conditions.

Good luck with the project and let us know what questions you have and we'll try and answer as best we can!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AnnM

AnnM Member

Daris,
    Congratulations on your retirement. I am in the Metro Detroit area.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnnM

AnnM Member

Thank you for the info on the subfloors. I'm still trying to figure out the best approach to buying and having it installed. I'd never considered selecting the installer first. I just checked the site and discovered one of the installers on CFIinstallers.com is listed at the flooring company I visited the other day (Abbey flooring). I'm currently leaning towards luxury vinyl plank due to the dogs.

6. With your situation I would look at the newer generation luxury vinyl products known as WPC's for water proof core or Rigid Core. They are more rigid and less susceptible to issues with direct sunlight and thermal expansion and contraction. These are floating products and should help to mitigate your issues with your different subfloors.

US Floors Coretec Plus, Mannington Adura Max, and Armstrong PRYZM are all good products and Mohawk and Shaw both have versions as well. There are a ton of "Me Too" products out there. Just do your homework if you're looking at one and you'll be fine.

These should also meet your family and pet needs as well. A simple test you can do on any flooring sample is a penny test. Carry a penny with you and if you find something you like rub it vigorously over the sample. The products with better wearlayers will "shine" the penny and any residual left behind on the sample should wipe off with your thumb or finger. If it scratches or doesn't clean off easily then you're probably going to have a problem with the pets and keeping it looking good long term.

Let us know if you have any questions as you move through the process and we'll try to help answer any of your concerns. I wish you well and keep us posted.

7. Daris Mulkin

Thank you ! @Chris Mha is in your area and on this board. I'd get ahold of him. Does great work, kind of ugly but you can't have everything.

Daris

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Anybody in on a pool as to how long Daris stays retired? I'll take "one month".

Old dogs just don't know when to quit!! ;);)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daris Mulkin

Ruff ruff.

Daris

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Elmer Fudd

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    :rolleyes:

Just havin' a little fun!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daris Mulkin

If you can't have fun its not worth doing.

Daris

12. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I hope you realize just how much work retirement can be. Keeping away from work can be really difficult. That plus all of the projects your wife can think up to keep you out from under foot!
    * retired since 2009!
    Dick

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AnnM

AnnM Member

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I really appreciate it. I just sent a message to Chris Mha. I'll keep the group updated as this progresses!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Thanks Darla.

AnnM check your messages. I left my cell number

15. Daris Mulkin

DARIS DARIS DARIS Damn I hate my name. Nobody spells is right.

Darius <<<<intentional

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Did you ever wonder if your parents misspelled your name? Or mispronounced it when the nurse/doctor asked what the baby's name was? :eek:

17. Daris Mulkin

No it is right. I wasn't supposed to survive and my mother didn't want to use up the name she had picked out. But Daris isn't all of my first name according to mom. I had no middle name and the Navy made part of my first name my middle name and that stuck. So now I have a middle name which is Ray. So it was spelled Daris Ray as my first name. So it was easy to get a middle name. It was always there but not until Uncle Sam made it that way. The didn't like seeing nmn where the middle name was to be.
    When Karen and I were first married she called me Daris in front of my mother who was very quick to tell her that wasn't my name.

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  18. Elmer Fudd

Grew up with a kid named Ralph Basil Steiner, he hated Ralphie so he always went by RB. Went into the service and put down R(only) B(only) Steiner. Forever after he was Ronly Bonly Steiner.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AnnM

AnnM Member

So sorry Darius I hate autocorrect!

• Like Like x 1