Custom Made, Hand-Scraped Hickory Steps, by Chris Flynn

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Custom Made, Hand-Scraped Hickory Steps, by charter member Chris Flynn. Your comments and questions are welcome. You may also rate the article by selecting a rating in the drop-down box above right.
    [excerpt=Chris]If you do hardwood flooring, you may see this as a great way to add custom business and more profit. I wanted to tell this story because I know there are a lot of talented flooring professionals and I wanted to give you another idea to increase your business.[/excerpt]
    Please read the article here: TheFloorPro.com - Custom Made, Hand-Scraped Hickory Steps and join in on the discussion below.

2. nice artical. very beautiful work. do floor manufactures make steps to go with there floors?

3. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Some do, most don't....and let me mention, Chris is one of ours.......:yesss:

4. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Chris does real neat work and he's an artist as well with some of his carpet carving. (I think thats what you call it?

5. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Chris, I looked at this before, but hadn't commented because I had to heal after my jaw hit the floor. The before and after of that stairway is absolutely incredible. All of your woodwork is.
    Part of the trick of doing something this custom is doing it in some kind of a timely manner. That's where your talent really shines. I'm sure there are some guys here that could possibly do something like this. Heck, if I had the tools and a place to do it, maybe even I could do something similar.
    :eek: .....and I'd probably end up using 6X the amount of wood that you did.

.....but I'd be there for 6 months and either be accepted as part of the family or have the customer so angry I'd be risking my life to appear each day.
    My hat's off to you Chris............ and pass a good word on to the lovely photographer. She really knows what she's doing too.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Fantastic article. I rarely touch any thing wooden...but what you did with those steps was masterful.

7. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Amazing, Chris.

8. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

its unreal how much talent is displayed on those steps....totally awesome...hey chris, did your daughter ever move down my way?

9. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Charter Member Published

Thanks everyone,
    I just want to throw things out there so, for everyone to know that there are other parts of the the floor business that you can take advantage of. By making yourself different, you should be able to make yourself busy, I know the othere thread talking about how slow things are, in all honesty I am busy, but not doing only the "basic" flooring. No I am not doing any rugs, any more, just other "niche" things that make me different. if I did not do "niche" things I know that I would be living under a bridge some where.
    Al. yes my daughter does live in GA. I will private message you
    thanks again everyone, and especially Jim for posting this.
    and remember " keep your eyes open"