Crunchy new carpet padding

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Kristen Keefe, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Kristen Keefe

Kristen Keefe New Member

After our roof leaked this winter in our condo, we finally on Friday had new pad installed and the carpet put back down. However, when I walk on the carpet, it "crunches". It sounds as though there are plastic grocery bags under the carpet in the section where the new pad was laid. The new pad has "Spillguard" written all over the plastic liner. Our old pad (11 years old) also has a coating on it, but obviously is old. I've never experienced this "crunchiness". Do we ask for different pad to be put down? Will this sound dissipate with time? Is it the pad, or could it be pad/carpet interface as a consequence of the carpet also having been damaged some by the leak/moisture (wasn't discovered for a while because the leak came up through the floor and in an area where a desk covered the carpet.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this!

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would call the company back and have them investigate the problem. It could be a number of things. Its possible the padding surface is rattling or there could be what I call squeakers in the pad. That is where there is a hard piece of padding sitting just right and when stepped on it rubs the floor making a squeaking sound. Sometimes that can be remedied from the top if you get lucky.

:old:

Daris

3. Isabella Flooring

Isabella Flooring Pro Member

Sounds to me, your SPILLGUARD pad, Barrier is crunching on your old action back backing,

You as the consumer will have to make the decision on what to do, we as professionals can't direct a unhappy customer, we haven't seen your problem, looked at your complaint..

4. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Is it isolated hard spots? Like you are stepping on a hard piece of plastic sideways or is it like a crinkle grocery bags

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

If it's truly "krinkly" sounding, I'd call back the flooring company that installed this and have them look at it. It could very well be defective. I remember a few years back there was an installation at a pro football players house that had pad that squeeked everywhere you walked on it. It was defective and the pad company had to pay for replacement. This could be the case with yours, but we can only give you guesses from behind the keyboard.

6. Kristen Keefe

Kristen Keefe New Member

Thank you

Thank you all for your replies. It is a "Krinkly" grocery bag sound and it's all over in the area where the new pad is, not just in particular spots -- although it seems louder in a few areas near the seam with the old pad.

I appreciate that you can't give an absolute answer. I was more curious whether I'd get lots of "Oh, that's normal, it will go away with time" kind of insights. However, it doesn't seem that this is a commonality with the pad that everyone knows about. I think I'll ask them to replace it with non "spill guard" pad since we have no pets or little kids at the moment. It's only about a 6x6 area, so not too big a job to replace it (easy for me to say, since I'm not the one doing it!).

Thank you all again!

Kristen

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

A 6x6 foot area should be easy to replace.