crown staples walking up through vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by mike armstrong, Dec 2, 2017.

1. mike armstrong

mike armstrong Pro Member

Has anyone ever had crown staples from their underlayment walk up through the vinyl?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Seems like a common issue, if the two layers of plywood are not tight together then traffic will push the top layer down, the fastener will stay put causing the staple which was flush to appear above underlayment plain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

What us the subfloor material underneath?

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

1/4” or 1/2” staples? I used to use 1/2” staples all the time for 1/2” underlayment. Cheaper than nails and the staple gun taxes the air compressor less so I could go faster without having to let my compressor breathe. The downside is that once or twice a year I would get a staple pop. Never had that happen with 1/4” staples and 1/4” underlayment though.

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

1/4 inch staples?? what you talking about son. What is a 1/4 inch staple going to penetrate into?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Chris 45

The crown, not the length.

7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

See, in my brain..... :)

Thanks for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chris 45

I get it myself sometimes. :)

9. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I used to use narrow crown staples for 1/4" plywood, 7/8 or 1" staples so they would not stick down and out of the layers of plywood you were fastening too and they had to have the glue on the legs. The speed at which they were hammered in would melt the glue on the legs and then it would dry and hold like iron. Removing 1/4" that was stapled could be a problem sometimes, the staples would pull through the 1/4" and have to be pulled out one at a time. Tedious work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mike armstrong

mike armstrong Pro Member

3/4 (length) crown staple into 1/4 MDF style underlayment over wafer board subfloor. The install was last Feb in a drive through coffee stand here in Idaho, a couple feet of snow on the ground and temps in the teens. I'm pretty sure that the building did not even have a door on it until about two weeks before install and the only heat was a portable gas unit. Is it possible that the core of the wafer subfloor was still wet and over the course of drying out that the wafers themselves walked the staples up?

11. Chris 45

OSB that has gotten wet and then dried out has seriously less holding power for fasteners. Put a slit in the vinyl, pull that staple then seal the slit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

What Chris says is something you can try to do. Eventually, with foot traffic, that staple will break through the surface.