Crackling Engineered Floor

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by Sunshine_84, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Sunshine_84

Sunshine_84 New Member

I have a 1/2" x 5" floating engineered hardwood floor on my main level, not sure what kind of underlayment. The house was built last year, and the floor was fine for months, but has been popping and crackling for the last several months when we walk on it. It seems to be worse first thing in the morning. We have a hygrometer and dehumidifier running to keep humidity around 50%. Something I have noticed is that the installers nailed down all of the boards around the perimeter, but the rest is floating--is that normal? Could this be a humidity issue and the nailed down boards have not allowed for expansion which is causing the crackling?

Thanks

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes. The nails do not allow proper expansion are are a likely suspect. Other than that you'd want to know if the substrate under the floating wood were QUITE flat.................at or near specifications----usually 3/16" maximum gap under a 10' straight edge.

3. Sunshine_84

Sunshine_84 New Member

Assuming the problem is the nailed down perimeter, is that something that would require a total tear out to remedy?

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Are we talking about the entire perimeter or just the 2 sides running parallel to the direction of the floor? Either way, its doable. It’s going to be a PITA for you and the installer. Furniture has to be moved, baseboards/ 1/4 round has to be removed/ replaced (caulking? paint touch up?) and you will need enough MATCHING material for the repair itself.

5. Sunshine_84

Sunshine_84 New Member

It looks like it’s just the 2 sides running parallel. We are coming up on our 1 year warranty with the builder, so it looks like his crew will be busy. Is there any way they can claim it’s acceptable to nail down the sides?

6. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Do you have any left-over or "attic stock" material? This will tell you the manufacturer and exactly which product. You can then get the manufacturer's installation instructions. Most instructions even state to be careful that nails from base shoe do not go into the flooring .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I would even verify proper underlayment while you have the chance for warranty work. Which should still carry over from manufacturer and retailer. Just strange that they nailed (locked in) floating floor, that just defies logic.

You should’ve got a sensorpush in your home which charts humidity level 24/7/365 should they first try to blame improper climate control.

• Agree Agree x 1