Covering over Vinyl Asbestos Tile

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Mike Kadra, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Mike Kadra

Mike Kadra New Member

Guys, thank you for sites such as this. I’m by no means an experienced DIYer, but I recently purchased a home in Missouri with 9x9 tiles I’m told are probably asbestos. I don’t want to pay for a removal, but the tiles are in great shape anyways, barring a couple missing chips.

I’ve poured through too many sites looking for advice and information on sealing and/or encapsulating. Our plan was to use a modern peel and stick tile after the VAT was sealed. Would an epoxy paint work or SLC? I would greatly appreciate your help.

- Mike

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Peel and stick, the saying is just like peanut butter and jelly. Everyone says, oh just put down some peel n stick and voila.

Let’s see a detailed pic of tile for indications of wax, condition. If it never had wax I’d wet strip scrub it with a black pad, let dry extremely well, let dry extremely well, then let it dry, apply the said product.

Asbestos fibers are not going to leach into air.

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I would strip any wax/sealer and then use a latex primer before applying any peel 'n stick vinyl.