Cove Base Dolly

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by Mike Antonetti, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I need a dolly for roll cove base, in the past I've just cut a big circle out of osb. Maybe a lazy Susan or just screw down to some more basic dollys.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I've heard about making a Lazy Susan for the roll base but I've never seen it. Don't really do enough of it to make that work my while.

3. Mike Antonetti

I got annoyed spinning the dolly around for cove base to unwind. I'm surprised there's not one available to purchase, or at least steal the idea.

4. Incognito

Mike, the guys in our union who sling zillions of feet of roll base have all kinds of systems for unwinding it off the rolls or winding it around crazy obstacles. It really depends on the kinds of rooms/areas you're working. Typically I try to uncoil a bunch of it out ahead of me at a clip, trim it to the length of the longest walls reducing the 100-120 coil down to much smaller, manageable 20-30' pieces for the smaller stuff. For example in a classroom usually there's 2-3 straight walls and cabinetry with toe kicks on the other. Office space will be 12x15 roooms, right. So grab the roll and whack off all the long walls an inch or so big so you can scribe fit the inside corners. Lay those pieces down where they go. Then you only need a small roll that can easily set on your dolly for all the "fill" pieces.

Works best with 2 guys where one guy is fitting/scribing/uncoiling and the other guy comes behind slathering the paste however he so desires. This is the one place where the base glue guns work great. You just have to have all the base fit an laid back where it goes. SUPER FAST that way. Since we don't use much roll base I never liked the glue guns---------it's also a telegraphing issue with some thin base and certain lighting conditions where you can see the lumps of adhesive.

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

This summer we had endless rolls of 120'x 6" base to put over carpet. They were heavy and didn't slide on the carpet. I have a 4-wheel furniture dolly with a solid top, I just set the roll on top and spun the cart around. Easiest way I have ever done base! You could unroll a full roll in a minute

6. Mike Antonetti

Imagine the dolly being on a bearing system to unwind, then it have pressure sensitive attached where you just peel off the paper, now that's fast.

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Have you ever tried doing the same thing unrolling hallway carpet in a commercial job?

:old:

Daris

8. kylenelson

9. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

The thought is nice ;) This would be tool # ? Not sure about you guys but Im about out of room for all these tools :blink: Some get used once a year ...maybe...

10. Incognito

You first have to purchase or make a tool. Then you have to store it, transport it and maintain it.

Working with tools for a living all of the above have to be considered into the equation. What is REALLY worth buying, storing and hauling. ESPECIALLY when gasoline is $3-4-5 a gallon, a good set of tires is $500 and brakes and transmissions are subject to extra wear based on how many lbs. you are humping around routinely

11. Mike Antonetti

I have the bearing, just the design is throwing me, thinking about two lock wheels to set in place, then pull. I need it ASAP.

500$ for two tires, I'm going with Michelins next, not impressed with Bridgestone Duravis.

I would love to get rid of bunch of tools, I don't know which direction I'm going in the future.

And I was going to ask where you were at(Newman) Demonseed I'm wondering about as well.

12. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

13. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

With 120 ft rolls of Johnsonite base, most guys I know simply open it all up, toe down in whatever rooms and halls we are doing. I have only gotten a max of 10 boxes in a day(7 hrs), but I know a few guys that easily do 12 with no special tricks.
    The one thing in common is to open it up in all the areas you know you can install in a day before you start installing.
    I probably loose the last 2 rolls of installation because I prefer to backroll all my roll base before installing it. I also scribe in all my inside corners with dividers(which looses no time, but makes a perfect inside corner). I also use a Crain Cove Base gouge which makes a perfect outside corner very fast.
    But the key to me is a self made 3 inch "spat" for the adhesive....Single strokes, about 4 ft at a time of applying the adhesive...
    Applying the glue properly is where I see most people loose production. Good adhesive and 75%-80% back coverage will do it every time. I am also a firm believer in using a roller. Most people call them "seam rollers", but those things were actually created for cove base...LOL :)
    I know when you first open a roll of base, it's a pain in the ass, but it's on 90% of the jobs out there now. 4 Ft is like a treat :yesss:
    Steve

14. kylenelson

Sliding the base around is fine...if it slides...if not, other options work better. I have a Milwaukee electric caulking gun, it puts out adhesive as fast as I can walk, I would love to see someone do it faster.

I'm telling ya, try spinning the dolly around as you unroll, it's way easier than it sounds and its way easier on your body...that has to be worth something

15. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Hey Mike, maybe flip the dolly over, with a board on top of the wheels, making a Lazy mans version of a lazy Susanne :p

Mike

16. Incognito

Hey! That's what I said.

17. Mike Antonetti

Kyle I have the ridgid caulk gun(1qt size) I've read not as good as Milwaukee though. I have spun the roll on board and wheels, just a little hassle.

Sli, I think the board will roll off, hope I can find something already made to repurpose it for cove base dolly.

Steve, kinda strange I spread a lot of adhesive, I have tried the trowel method long ago, it was 1 gallon Henry's, very good stuff, thick and strong, just thinking of it I'm making a mess. That's artwork application.

18. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

How bout this, Mike...

Trash can dolly

Starting with that, mount a sizable circle of plywood to it, with a dowel or pipe extending upward.
    Cover the plywood with a nice slick scrap of vinyl flooring, and viola!

You could get fancy and add a bearing between the ply circle and another ply circle above it, so that the top circle rotates easily rather than the cove sliding on the vinyl - but that may over-complicate things.

Also I have no clue how to lock the wheels unless you can find a dolly with locking wheels.

Or you could just do the same thing with a circle of plywood and mount locking wheels to it, skipping the prefab dolly altogether - I dunno...
    ... I'm no engineer - Sheesh! Get off my back, I'm just trying to help!
    Know what? Forget it!
    ... If this is what I get for trying to help, then go %£}+ yourself!

19. Mike Antonetti

Funny Han, I have the trashcan dolly, had two but sold one. Not much time to design, need it Saturday, driving over two hours away, 8-10 hours then driving back, eat,sleep,repeat. 29 boxes, not crazy big, but a nuisance.

Hard to believe there's not one already on the market, most everyone is unrolling by hand?

20. Incognito

Yes, as Steve Forbo describes you just pick the roll up and walk backwards using your arms like a toilet paper dispenser spreading the base and rough cutting it into the rooms. You go as far out ahead as you can depending on how much traffic is going around you. Typically if you throw out more than a box or two people with trample the shit out of it by the time you come to stick it up-----and that includes guys on your own crew. Nobody cares that much about base.