Could someone please give me an educated guess on this flooring?

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Jgc4238, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Jgc4238

Jgc4238 Member

Hi! We want to replace the flooring in the dining room of our new home. Some of the pieces are buckling/bowing and the previous owners had a small dog who must have had accidents because I absolutely smell urine no matter what I clean with. Can anyone please identify what kind of flooring is?

Attached Files:

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Laminate by the looks of it, as for who made it, who knows.

3. Jgc4238

Jgc4238 Member

Thank you! Any idea how to clean it thoroughly until it is replaced?

4. Mark Brown

Very dry mop, or microfiber. The chances are since liquid, urine in this case, has seeped down into the fiber core you will not be able to get that smell out. The top layer of laminate is very stain, spill, moisture resistant, the problem is every single one of the joints is not. Once anything liquid penetrates that its a ticking time bomb for that particular flooring type.

5. Jgc4238

Jgc4238 Member

Thank you Mark. Do you have any suggestions what would be the best flooring type for when we do replace? We have a dog....and two indoor pigs.

Edit- Is there any kind of sealer that could be used in between the planks?

6. Mark Brown

There are a few Vinyl plank manufacturers that have "joint sealer" but at the moment they do not come to mind.
    If it was me, and i had some indoor pigs, which i could refer to my children as from time to time, i would use sheet vinyl. The stuff is damn near indestructible however it has lost a lot of market share to plank in the last decade or so. Water cannot get into a surface that is not chopped up into pieces and in the last while there have been some really nice patterns come along

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jgc4238

Jgc4238 Member

Thank you. Do you have a preferred brand? The pigs are the least of my worries. They come and go as they please through a dog door and mostly come inside to harass the dog and to sleep. My concern is the ability to keep it clean because I have kids running around a husband bringing in saw dust from the work shop and animals. Actually they are all animals

8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I love it. I did a job for a customer with a pet pig. Very smart animals.

9. Jgc4238

Jgc4238 Member

Too Smart! Bob says thanks for the flooring help and keep it coming! Gidget is God knows where

Attached Files:

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've often wondered about people with pet pigs, are they house broken or what. The pigs I mean.

:old:

Daris

11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I'd go with a ceramic or stone tile with a small grout line and epoxy grout-------similar to the needs of a commercial kitchen or any "food service" health code rquirements for construction project. Under those conditions if you went with sheet vinyl it would need to be 6" self cove with heat welded seams.