costco vinyl click...golden select....im gonna burn it all

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by deaddave, Apr 29, 2013.

1. deaddave

deaddave Pro Member

a long time friend of mine and previous customer bought this stuff and asked me to put it in for her. i reluctantly agreed as i know how these "bargain flooring products" can be a pain in the ass. half of them arent perfectly square (tried three different squares) and most are out by a 32nd of an inch(two different tape measures). I already made her take back one order and she got another from a different costco which i told her wouldnt make a difference and of course it didnt. i installed over half her kitchen and there are gaps everywhere. my question is do most people put this stuff in themselves and think it and they are awesome so dont even notice the gaps???or am i being a perfectionist??? i find it way easier to get paid when things are perfect lol. ive installed all types of brand name vinyl click and have never had trouble.....ever.
    Just wondering if anyone else ever came across this with golden select or if everyone else has been smarter than me and stayed away from it

thanks in advance for any responses

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Didn't know costco sold the stuff...but thanks for the heads up! In other news, I installed peel and stick tiles for the first time professionally last week. WHY must they make products this awful.

3. Jackreed

Jackreed jackreed Charter Member

Because they can:eh::yesss::p

4. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

Click lvt =epic fail

5. j248

j248 I Support TFP

I have seen that click product before and I was curious of the specs, then I saw then, and wondered why it was that expensive. That stuff had an offensive wear layer, and no Finish, if it is the exact same one I saw.

Kyle, what made the peel and stick so awful after the install?

6. deaddave

deaddave Pro Member

Yeah that costco click is a weird looking stuff to begin with and also I failed to mention that from end to end some of them are different thickness. I walked away from the job this morning and unless she finds something else I won't be going back. She almost had me doubting my abilities then I realized it's not my job to fix crappy material. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Nothing particularly awful about the install, but such a ridiculously cheaply made product. I almost felt bad installing it...except it was only a closet and I needed the carpet it from it to do patches in every doorway throughout the house.

8. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So Costco sells chicken salad and they bought chicken $#/¥.

Don't narrow it down to just that product, I think it's happening to many products. Trying to make the products look good is getting more and more difficult.

9. j248

j248 I Support TFP

you mean in general or in the low end cheap area.....

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Good question cause we have 1200 ft of this coming up

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  11. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

Mannington sure has mastered with the uniclic system.

12. RenoMan

RenoMan Pro Member

I manage a renatl community of 134 homes. We install this floor in every kitchen and bathroom when it's time to redo the residence. At first I hated the stuff but as I learned tricks to get things to go smoother I've really come to like it. I do find that using a tapping block and a small deadblow hammer gets the floor to click tightly and stay together. Also the same wedges you would use for a wood laminate along the walls are used for this floor. This stuff can be finicky but in the end, with patience the end result is pretty nice. And the best part.....If a tennant ruins part of the floor, it's very easily replaced.