Corridors in Commercial Vinyl Sheet & Plank Flooring

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by Steve Olson, May 31, 2020.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Finished this up last night. Started 4/17, ground floor corridors, vinyl plank in the back storage halls, 6 ft Tekno Sheet and Tekno commercial plank. First time with their plank, I liked it. Demo old VCT, and due to layoffs due to Covid19, we also did infection control, which is putting up Zip Wall containment and HEPA air scrubbers, moving pallets of food and kitchen supplies, etc. Good thing was, due to the covid 19 there was very little foot traffic from the public to deal with. Longest corridor was right at 180 fr long, 3 full rolls and a partial, Field was simple, snap lines, roll out floor, border was another story. Main corridors were 8ft wide, connector corridors were 6, so the field in those was cut down, to keep the borders consistent. Border really shows off lousy door placement in some areas, due to door ways not being centered, but we don't build them.

IMG_20200425_005330.jpg IMG_20200425_005356.jpg IMG_20200503_231121.jpg IMG_20200530_205212.jpg IMG_20200530_205233.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice work steve. That teknoflor is pure evil on the ends but it’s a pretty bulletproof product that takes a beating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Looks really nice good job

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Did they grind the floor after vct removal or just scrape?

5. Steve Olson

Scraped up. They don't allow grinding.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Explain the border purpose to me someone, it looks good but what is it’s purpose?

7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Its purpose is to give designers and architects one more reason to make our lives miserable. Uh, I mean it looks pretty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

To Accent the field. Same as what crown molding or chair rail does for ceilings and walls.

Fantastic job on those miters Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I don't know about this particular job but borders can often times be used for wayfinding in larger healthcare facilities. They can also be a subtle way to set off one area or department from another so that when a patient or visitor is walking they have a sense of leaving one area and going to another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Forgot to add...

Really nice work Steve! Great job!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Steve Olson

Lol, thank you. The borders here were the result of them being unhappy with corridors in the ER, that were done by an out of the area company, all in the same color. Wood grain flooring solid color rod, and welding that was sloppy. I suggested using a border darker then the field, and by luck they picked the dark brown for borders, and that rod is a dead match, color wise. Makes me look good.
    The main corridors were 8 ft wide, side corridors were 6, the 8's were easy.
    That 175 main was 3 1/3 full rolls, right down the middle. More vinyl then I have ever put down in a night, as I remember, lol. But the borders took a lot of time, the guy helping me had little vinyl experience, but he learned how to scribe seams so it helped. Spent a couple full days welding all that up. Glad to be back, working regular hours

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Amazing job Steve!
    As much a pain in the ass it is to install, the finished product is something to be proud of!

13. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Boarders look good in areas like what Steve has done
    What amuses me when one does boarders in a domestic situation, we charge extra for, then the people come along and put all their furniture, cupboards, lounge suites etc etc in the rooms against the walls covering over all my hard work doing the boarders. It did look good when the rooms were empty though

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Here’s a border in stretch carpet, I never really did like the look, I think the carpet installers tried to take it to the next level back in the day.

Attached Files:

15. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It would have looked a lot different if they would have beveled the edges. Much nicer and more professional.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Steve Olson

Did a few carpet border jobs back a couple decades ago, it was when that mallard green and royal blue were popular. I remember seeing rugs you did with the beveled edge, it does add substantially to the look.

17. Oh yes Daris, turns it into class.

18. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ve done a border or two. Never enough money for the hassle

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1