CoreTec 'waterproof' products -- will it still leak water into basement?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by dosstx, Sep 19, 2019.

1. dosstx

dosstx Active Member

I live in a house built in 1925 and it looks like it still has the original hardwood flooring (t&groove). There is no subfloor under this flooring. The floor rests on joists.

I am looking at finishing my basement (small bath, media room) but have some concerns about the hardwood flooring above:

1.) If liquid is spilled on the first floor (above basement), it can seep down into the basement.
    2.) It is very noisy in the basement when someone walks on the flooring above, especially with heeled shoes!

To mitigate the above concerns, I did a little research and think that if I purchase a product such as CoreTec LVP (or Shaw) , it may keep water spills from getting below. I received some CoreTec "waterproof" floor samples ("coreTec Plus Premium" - Penmore Walnut(VV458-02711) EVP Vinyl Wood Flooring | COREtec) and see their claims of waterproof and noise mitigation. I tested out a few samples, walked on them, and spilled water (and waited for about an hour) on them to see if it leaked through. The water didn't leak through-- it was bone dry between the cracks, too. I couldn't really test out the noise issue but I did see there was a thick cork underlayment (much thicker than other versions of coretec products). I plan to also add some sound insulation on the basement ceiling, too. So, don't want water to get there, either.

Am I justified to being concerned about water seeping through the CoreTec floor and sitting sandwiched between the original hardwood?

In the future, I'd like the possibility of also removing the CoreTec and revealing the original hardwood if we decide to sell.

I am not saying CoreTec is the answer for me (I will check out Shaw too), but my goal right now is to see whether a floating floor such as CoreTec would help alleviate my concerns of spills and noise. I've never installed flooring before. I have about 1000sqft of floor I'd need to cover.

Looking for any thoughts or comments on the above issues. Thanks!

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

A floating floor will help to reduce spills from leaking through to your basement but it will not completely prevent it if the spill is big enough. People often assume that installing a waterproof floor is the same thing as waterproofing your floor. The floor itself is waterproof. The cork backing is not. If enough water is left on the floor long enough the joints can leak. Additionally, if the spill is big enough, it can run under your trim and get through to the basement that way as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dosstx

dosstx Active Member

is it reasonable to just worry about catching the spills in time? Pretty normal?

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You’ll be just fine if you catch spills in a timely fashion. If your dishwasher, toilet or washing machine blows up you’re going to have a problem though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Install the floor, run a small bead of clear silicone under your base as you put it back on, silicone all other areas not covered by wall base. That’s your best shot at containment

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

It also wouldn't hurt a thing if you were to put a layer of 6mil Poly (Visqueen) down prior to installing your new floor. Overlap the seams 2" and tape them with clear packing tape. If water does get through the floor it will stop it from getting to your original floor as well as the basement as long as it isn't a major disaster as Chris mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dosstx

dosstx Active Member

Thanks guys. I like the idea of using 6mil poly

8. dosstx

dosstx Active Member

Hey guys, I talked to CoreTec and they said that they recommended I use a 1/4" APA rated underlayment beneath the Coretec planks due to expansion/contraction of individual boards during seasonal changes. Remember, I have bare joists under the current hardwood floor (no subfloor). Shoud I still put a vapor barrier in?