Coretec Plus in 5th wheel

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Dick King, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Dick King

Dick King Member

I am going to install Coretec Plus 7" x 4' in our 5th wheel trailer. It has a 3/4" OSB subfloor, area is 16' long by 8' wide plus a slide out 14'x4'. We spend about 5 months of the year in this mostly camping with fishing and hunting being the objective, we got so tired of the carpet and dirt issues with it that I ripped it all out.
    My biggest concern is if I should float it or glue it down?
    I know there is going to be some issues with the slide out room and transition but I think I have that resolved, at least in my mind I do. I worked as a self employed cabinet maker for 35 years so have enough skills to do the the install I believe. ( I know there is a difference between cabinets and flooring)
    In the slide out room there is a dining area consisting of a table with two pedestal bases screwed into the floor plus two benches that are screwed to floor and wall. Also a hideabed that has brackets that screw into the floor. All these on the section that is 4' x 14'.
    Open to thoughts and suggestions!!

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

With a floating floor movement can be an issue, my vote s a fullspread glue down.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Yeah, elmer’s advice is good. Glue is going to be kore difficult on the install, but I believe it will be a cheap insurance policy

4. Dick King

Dick King Member

Thanks for your input. Now I'll have to figure out the glue thing. Coretec suggests what to use but no how to.
    Going to be good to be rid of carpet.

5. kylenelson

I would pre cut your rows, maybe three at a time then glue only those rows then repeat

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dick King

Dick King Member

Thank you Kyle, that is what I was thinking.
    If US Floors Product is not readily available do you have a good alternative that falls in this category?
    Instructions read:
    Use only USFloors Cork Underlayment Adhesive (or) comparable premium multipurpose flooring adhesive

7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Any high solid vinyl flooring adhesive would work, 1/32 1/16 1/32 or 1/16 square notch trowel depending on the adhesive.

8. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I installed Tarkett Progen in our laundry room, it uses a foam underlay bonded to the bottom, instead of cork. Mt wife loves it,

9. kylenelson

A high quality carpet adhesive like Powerhold 4000 would be what I would go with.

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What is your theory on PH4000?

Restriction # 1, no vinyl

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I’ve used a few multi purpose adhesives over the years that had restrictions like not warranted for installing vinyl on top of another layer of existing vinyl. Offgassing lead to bubbles. A smaller notch and a little open time usually took care of that. I would think that if it was a decent multi purpose adhesive, it would bond to the cork backing no problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

I forget about the different backing(cork) I got out of installing before this hybrid stuff came into play. I was thinking solid vinyl but multipurpose adhesives to me we’re just for carpet and sheet vinyl with felt backing. I like the acrylic pressure sensitive adhesives.

13. kylenelson

Yeah, its just to bond the cork layer

14. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I have done a few 3-4 campers for friends. First thing i do is say I'm not guaranteeing anything. After that its pretty much just winging it. No lvt/lvp is going to guarantee those conditions. 1/2" underlay will flex and not being temp controlled year round is just two of the issues.
    I was given a thin click lock lvt on 2 of them. Cant remember manufacturer but pretty safe to say big box special. I glued all the T&G with poly seam seal. Been over 2 years & still holding strong. Is it the right way....NOPE. but it worked. I just advised them to stay out of their camper in the winter months when its frozen.
    As far as your slide out goes, i would recommend staying with carpet. That 6-8" flap is what hides/protects from dirt your gaskets. Maybe just the lvp in the main traffic area? Unless you have a plan for that.
    The glue, a good brand multi purpose will be fine.

Share some pics of your finished job. If you dont do carpet in the slide out im curious to see how you finish it.

15. Mike Antonetti

I’m wondering if the latex in the multipurpose will stain the LVT/P. Will it migrate into? I’ve not seen it but have been cautioned against it.

16. Dick King

Dick King Member

I am really glad I stumbled onto this forum, you guys are awesome. I would have been totally winging it.
    Tom Potter my 5th wheel has 3/4 OSB sub flooring, and because I live in Arizona it will not be subjected to extreme cold, I also spend my summer in Pacific NW so I also miss out on the extreme heat. I do have a plan for the slide out lip, and when I get a finished product I will take some photos.
    I glued all the T&G with poly seam seal. Not being in your trade I am not sure if you mean you glued the product down or if you actually glued the actual T&G?

17. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Full disclosure, the way i did the campers is definitely not an approved method of installation for the particular product.
    I glued the T&G only. Bonding each plank to the other planks, not to the sub floor. The poly seamseal is flexible when cured. If down the road i have to repair/replace any damaged planks it's not too bad to get apart.

The cor-tech your putting in is a great product. The locking system on it is really good. Once its locked, its locked. Unless your subfloor is really janky and has movement, i wouldn't hesitate to just float it. Either way would be fine with that product. Glueing the t&g would be irrelevant for cor-tech as its locking mechanism is better than glue. The glue would be for bonding it to the subfloor. So the whole finished floor doesn't move around.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Dick King

Dick King Member

Resurrecting this for a question......Is this roller okay for the Cortech when I glue it down, I already have this from my cabinet shop. I know their instructions call for a 100# roller but not sure I can one in my 5th wheel.

Roberts 10-955 Extendible Floor Roller

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  19. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

In a pinch it will work, need to put your weight into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dick King

Dick King Member

Can do that...