Coretec Installation Question

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by UncleV, Jul 13, 2018.

1. UncleV

UncleV Active Member

We will be installing 250 sq ft of coretec 12x24 tiles in our kitchen/half bath. The installer is quite experienced in hardwood/coretec. Over 30 years with the same small company. We purchased a new 36" vanity for the bathroom. I asked him if we should to install before or after the coretec. I am well aware of the 1/4" gaps needed and so is he. He stated that we CAN put the vanity on top of the coretec for a cleaner look and he has done so before with no problems/callbacks. Is this possible or should install the vanity first to be 100% correct even though it will not look nearly as good. Any professional experience/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

In a small room like a bathroom and if the vanity is not screwed into the floor (anchor it to wall only) I'd go for it.

It's not the technically "right" but it's probably fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Not me, no way I would ever put cabinets over any flooring, maybe vct, gluedown vinyl where it could be easily cut for removal.

Cabinets last longer than flooring. Cabinets first then fit flooring around cabinets.

4. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Mike's answer is correct. I just have a hard time differentiating between a bathroom vanity and a bookcase in the next room over. Actually my bookcase full of books is much heavier than my bathroom vanity. Both items are anchored to the wall and neither would be THAT difficult to move.

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I’d put it under the cabinet..

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I say it depends on the vanity. A regular ol vanity should go in first and have the floor laid around it. One of them fancy vanities with open areas underneath due to fancy legs should be set on top of the floating floor because you just can’t cut around them legs good enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Then make the vanity removable in future without locking it in with tiled backsplash.

8. UncleV

UncleV Active Member

Thank you for all the responses I truly appreciate it. I've had multiple people out to the house and all of them were installers that install this product. Everyone says it will be okay with the vanity but not kitchen cabinets. We even looked at an installation that was done almost 4 years ago by the same installer that we would like to use and he put it under the vanity with no issues. I guess what I'm looking for is anybody that has actually seen issues with putting it under a small vanity and truly had issues. Has anyone here actually seen issues with doing such and then had to rectify it? What really amazes me is you can put an extremely large and heavy free-standing entertainment system on this and that's okay. Just don't put it under a small vanity. I just don't understand the logic behind this so if anybody can explain it to me please do.

9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The problem is when someone puts screws or nails through the floor while securing cabinets. Now the floor is locked in and can’t move like a floating floor is supposed to. Don’t do that and you will be just fine.

10. UncleV

UncleV Active Member

That explanation makes total sense. This vanity will not be screwed into the floor only into the back wall