coretec flooring consultant?

Discussion in 'Looking For a Flooring Professional or Product' started by Jim Hurd, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Hurd

Jim Hurd I Support TFP

My 21 yo daughter really wants to install coretec plus herself (1600 sq feet, 6 rooms and a hallway). Of course I support her ambition but obviously you don't know what you don't know. Do pro's here ever hire out as consultants? I'm especially concerned about getting a level floor and have no experience with Ardex FF that is much loved here. All the floor will be over 5/8 t&g wood subfloor where we tore up carpet and removed the tack strips etc. I have installed 3/4 hardwood before but that didn't need to be that level since you more or less hammer it into place and sand it flat, so it worked out fine. She doesn't think its pet friendly though. We live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia if any one is interested in a paying gig to critique a floor prep.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What kind of wood subfloor, ply? Any stamps from manufacturer visible? And the joist spacing? Notice any deflection between joists stepping on?

Of course Ardex is loved there, it’s made around the corner. It sticks good but if subfloor moves it can unbond.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Coretec is pet friendly

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim Hurd

Jim Hurd I Support TFP

its plywood. I'll check the stamps tomorrow, there should be some visible. house is built circa 1980. I put the hardwood floors in half of it 20+ years ago. Now Sarah wants to put coretec in the other half; not loving the dog "accidents" on the carpet. I recall the subfloors being ok, but maybe not 3/16 in 10 feet ok. It was no issue for hardwood. I'm going to try to measure their flatness tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim Hurd

Jim Hurd I Support TFP

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

That says U.L. Grade plywood, is it one layer of 5/8” ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim Hurd

Jim Hurd I Support TFP

Anywhere there is carpet its one layer of 5/8" plywood. In the kitchen there are two layers of vinyl only extra layer of wood but I'm tentatively planning on moving them. Tiled bathrooms and foyer, but not touching those. They may have extra layers. That picture is looking up at the kitchen from the basement.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  8. Jim Hurd

Jim Hurd I Support TFP

Now looking for a carpenter to peel back the subfloor, plane/shim the joists and get the floor level. Its max 9/16 out of flat; more than I care to tackle above the subfloor. broomall, pa

9. Jim Hurd

Jim Hurd I Support TFP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.