CoreTec - Contractor Grade?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by whatyouare, Feb 13, 2020.

1. whatyouare

whatyouare New Member

Question about CoreTec brand of luxury vinyl plank flooring - seems to be a popular choice, I see it's name everywhere when reviewing vinyl plank flooring. Have even seen it on some "best" lists.

When I went to a local flooring shop, who sell CoreTec, I was told by two people at two separate times there that the CoreTec brand (regardless of product line) is essentially a step above contractor grade.

Seemed odd to me that they'd tell me this since 1, they sell it, and 2, I've read a number of reviews/write ups on LVP and CoreTec was never really referred to as a "cheap" or entry level product. Any insight?

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

That is false

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Call me skeptical but the first thing that comes to my mind is that they are regurgitating a line from a product rep that wants them to push a different product and of course this different product has a better profit margin. Just curious, what did the two different people recommend? Was it the same product?

4. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If Coretec is "a step above contractor grade" Then all the other WPC products I've installed must be way below that line. You can install it as a rotational lock, or tap it together. For a WPC product, I don't think you can do better, but you can sure do a lot worse. The 2 people that told you that are uneducated. Shop elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Cortec is hands down one of the best lvp/lvt products on the market as well as my personal favorite.
    As said above, the shop you visited wanted to sell you something with a better profit margin for them.

You're on the right track looking for a quality product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ve put plenty of coretec in $1mm plus homes. Even the lowest quality coretec product line is better than most of the other floatingnplanks I deal with! I have literally heard nothing but good reviews from customers and contractors alike with the product. As an installer, the product just works. It’s a rare thing these days.

7. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Another vote of confidence for coretec. One of the best products I’ve worked with over the past few years.

8. whatyouare

whatyouare New Member

Thanks for the insight!

Both times this happened I was already looking at the Adura Max rigid line, which happen to be right next to the CoreTec. The first person didn't steer me in any particular direction after telling me that, the second said she'd stick with Adura over it.

9. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

The Adura Max is an amazing line also... to be fair. In my opinion it is the best there is, but that is only my opinion. In no way does that lessen the CoreTec which is also an excellent product

10. whatyouare

whatyouare New Member

Mind is just about made up for Adura Max, problem is I can find very little information on their use of phthalates. Made a separate post about that today, but something like CoreTec, google "coretec phthalates" and you get a very clear answer first on the the page. Not so with Adura, really nothing about it on the web that I can find. Rep says none are used over the phone and sent me a typed up weird document that says they don't, but it was about as unprofessional a document as you could ask for.