Continuing the installation after a hiatus

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by Paul101, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Paul101

Paul101 Member

So I did a family room a few years back... Engineered floating floor. Beautiful. Now I want to continue with the rest of the first floor. I used a t transition (new project involved ripping out tiled floor) and now want to extend it through a hallway and into my in process kitchen reno.
    My question is, what is the best (actually I want easiest...haha ) method of aligning thruogh the doorway transition through the rest of the room.
    I am considering running a chalk line out from the existing room parallel, and perhaps screwing a temporary 2x4 to act as a barrier assuring the pattern from one room to the next (I will still use the t transition, I just dont want the 5" planks to look offset from one another....

After screwing the 2x4, I would run the entire rest of the length of the room..... back to the outside wall, remove the 2x4 and continue to the opposite wall.

Is this feasible?

Thanks in advance, I have been worried about this for a month and a half when we started the reno!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Sounds like you have thought it out quite well. I wouldn’t necessarily put your 2x4 right in the middle, I’d figure out which side has the least amount of working backward and move it closer to that side.

3. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Yes, the threshold of the family room comes out much closer to one side of the adjacent room.

Thanks for your response. Here's to hoping the rooms are about as square as the first room (family room).

Although I suppose I can make some slight adjustments to that by measuring to the closest wall.