Consumers perspective on resolving Flooring problems.

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Mike Antonetti, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What are their options, methods.

How does the consumer evaluate the problem in order to determine what the problem is?

Say an installer messed up, do they want the same person back to repair?

Is the value of material now less due to the integrity of product? Should they get a reduction on the bill?

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The consumers perspective is a crap shoot that is going to vary from person to person and is widely susceptible to manipulation. I think you first have to narrow down a specific demographic of people in order to answer those questions.

Walmart and Home Depot are big evil POS corporations on the West Coast yet in The South they are king. Same companies, different demographic.

3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

The consumer doesn't have a choice really. Under the Uniform Commercial Code the install must be given the opportunity to repair or replace. That's written in stone

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

How does this apply if an installer is working through a shop? Do subcontractor agreements potentially nullify this?

5. Chris Mha

Not sure I understand your question. An installer has a right by law to make it right. I was sent to repair a job that an installer screwed up. Consumer refused to have the same installer back. The installer sued because he was not paid. It ended up in court and the installer won because he was not given the opportunity to make it right.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

When I installed for a company maybe back in 98 the company retained 1k $, after I had been gone for one year I went back to get my 1k. The check was for 965$, they said there was one service call, I said they should’ve notified me.

Maybe 7 years ago we thought about picking up some work through Home Depot’s installation company, so I read the contract and they retain 5k, then I read on internets that this company was ripping off the installers about not returning their money. I basically laughed at their contract, (the end)

7. Chris Mha

I have never paid into a retainer. Wouldn't to this day. If there is a problem I'll take care of it. I have more integrity than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Each company I deal with is different in their claims process, but there are some similarities. It can be very simple - an obvious visible defect to very complex - had one where we had to spend several thousand dollars to prove that a cleaning company used a highly alkaline chemical to do initial construction cleaning and also flooded the floor. Caused the product to reverse curl because the alkalinity attacked the backing of the product.

Because of the tremendous range of possibilities I think the answer to the first question is...it depends. Something simple like a visible defect - bug in the wearlayer is still my all-time favorite - the consumer should be able to see pretty easily for themselves. Beyond something simple, problems such as wear or buckling, etc., the consumer is probably going to want to start at the point of purchase and work up from there to resolve the issue. Of course at any point along the way that the consumer feels they may not be getting accurate information or wants to verify what they are being told they can hire an inspector to examine the issue.

As to the installer having a chance to repair, Chris Mha has it correct. That's technically what is supposed to happen. Often times due to strained relations it just doesn't though.

With regards to the value of the product being less, I'm not sure if you mean literally or from a warranty standpoint. If a floor is repaired or replaced under warranty then typically it carries the remainder of the warranty as first quality material until the active warranty period or other circumstances (change of ownership for example) ends.

Reductions or "Courtesy Adjustments" are sometimes used to resolve claims. Generally it's in those circumstances where the flooring is installed and the issue is minor such as an off shade issue. If the customer can "live with" the floor in those circumstances then many times the mill will offer a credit to settle. Today though, the mills are much less apt to do this as to just go ahead and replace the floor if it's a real warranty issue. The larger mills typically feel that the bad word of mouth that leaving a problem in place in the field generates isn't worth just taking a smaller hit on offering an adjustment. The bad word of mouth that the floor could generate over the lifetime it's installed could be substantial.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1