Concrete under 1/4" cork under 1/2" plywood

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by mjacobs06, Dec 11, 2017.

1. mjacobs06

mjacobs06 New Member

Hi all,

I am helping a friend renovate his highrise condo, above ground level. We took the carpet up and concrete underneath is nice and smooth and level. We're doing 3/8" engineered bamboo flooring. His condo association specifically requires 1/4" cork UNDER 1/2" of plywood for what I assume is noise abatement. In researching I can't find much about having cork under plywood.

My questions are:

1. Is this an acceptable layout? (concrete --> 1/4 cork --> 1/2 plywood --> bamboo)
    2. Would a glue-down application work where we glue the cork down to the concrete with an appropriate cork underlayment adhesive and then glue the plywood down to the cork? What I am trying to avoid is a screw-down application and having to drill pilot holes into the concrete.
    3. If #2 above is achieved (gluing both the cork and the plywood), would it matter if we do the bamboo as a floating floor or would it be better to also glue it down?
    4. For the 1/2" plywood, in this application does it matter if we use plywood vs OSB?

I think that's all for now, thank you in advance!
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would question the reason why the plywood. You certainly could do the flooring over the cork or the concrete as far as that goes. I did one condo with cork under for sound deadening. It was floating engineered over it. There are other products like instalay that are for sound deadening under floors, is that acceptable?
  3. mjacobs06

mjacobs06 New Member

Kwfloors, my thoughts exactly. We pleaded with the association about this but no exceptions... Stuck having to do the cork plus the plywood. Any additional thoughts?
  4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Did a condo in tile last summer had to rip up the old flooring it was plank floors with 1/2 plywood under it with cork
    What a mess must of been hundreds of tap cons holding the plywood down came up in maybe foot squares then had to snap the tap cons off took forever to demo was probably 1,800sf give or take
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Can't find any info for doing such a job. One site cut the plywood into 18" strips to glue down to concrete without fasteners. Going to be an expensive project with all that glue required for what they want. I would find a different place to live and walk over their requirements. Have them give you the directions on how to do it in writing to protect yourself.
    • Like Like x 1