Concrete prep for LVP HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Jen483, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Jen483

Jen483 New Member

F1C0F99A-0785-42F8-B4AA-DEEF084C31C0.jpeg 5591597D-9020-4A81-BE64-3FC8AAA5E2C7.jpeg 4D559FA8-E8EF-436D-A13F-503F7A5E723E.jpeg F1C0F99A-0785-42F8-B4AA-DEEF084C31C0.jpeg I need some advice on prepping my concrete to install Toughlock LVP 4.5 thickness SPC core. It’s a click lock waterproof floating floor from Flooring Liquidators. It comes with a attached foam pad.

I pulled up carpet, padding, and carpet tack strip. I filled the holes from the tack strip with Sika Pro ready mix concrete patch. I took out the entry way tile and used a demo tool to scrape off the thinset. This took some of the concrete with it.

So here is where I’m stuck! What product do I use to fill the holes it left as well as the crack? I bought Mapei planipatch patch. I am just not sure if this is the right thing to use. I was just going to cover the entry way with the planipatch where there is still a residue left of the thinset but I don’t want to create a bigger mess.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Planipatch is OK.

Key is to grind/chip/scrape anything sticking up before you start filling. If you're not experienced just understand the concept that the more you can grind/scrape down smooth the less you have to float/ramp/skim/fill. Use a long straight piece of wood or metal------8 to 10 feet to ensure there are no ridiculous humps or duck ponds that need to be adressed.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Agree. Thinset should not be above the surface plane on the slab. A pic would help, the patch just prevents the flooring from being depressed into void if heavy weight is spot applied on top to an extent.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would make sure to do something good to that crack if moisture can come in. Maybe some Roadware Incorporated

5. Mike Antonetti

That is a little difficult to obtain Ken when I was looking for it a few months ago. What are suppliers online? T4F?

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I get it at Macon here in the NW. Not sure down south. I would just contact roadware to see or maybe they have a locator.

7. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I would say Whitecap here in Florida

8. Mike Antonetti

Good answer Ron, I’ll check on the Ocala one.

It won’t stop moisture but will reinforce the cracked joint. I feel a lot of vibration demoing Floors where cracks are, minimizing movement means reducing tile from cracking.

9. Jen483

Jen483 New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations.