Concrete floor prep for acid stain.

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Jarsnice, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Jarsnice

Jarsnice New Member

So over the next several months I’m going to start prepping my first story of my home for concrete acid stain, it’s an open floor plan with a small 1/2 bath(vinyl floor), and pantry, I would like to do it all acid stained. There is a small tile area right at the front door I plan to rip out as well, living room is carpet and the kitchen is linoleum or vinyl flooring(one continuous piece) I finally started today and cut out a 1ft by 6ft piece of carpet, to my disappointment the concrete under the carpet was painted white, it’s not a decrotive looking paint, I think this is a slight waterproofing paint called dry lock or something similar, it appears very durable and it really dull in finish. The home was built in 2006-7 it’s in Las Vegas no humidity or moisture . It’s about 700sqft of total area I would like to finish. So now I’m looking for advice to remove the white paint, I planned on renting a commercial low rpm floor polisher, for cleaning and smoothing the floor (one of the large ones from the big box store) would the proper pad on that machine work for the paint removal as well, or should I remove the paint before using the polishing machine. I’m brand new guys, thanks for the help, if you guys think this isn’t achievable for an amateur in the diy field let me know. I pay good attention to detail and don’t mind hard work. I don’t have any deadlines I’m in no rush. I have a pretty good collection of tools mostly woodworking, and a small dust collection setup that is portable. Any advice thanks folks.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You will get shadowing of the tile area, stain won't take on the vinyl adhesive area or the paint area. What would need to occur is grinding off of all contaminants for an overlay of pourable cementitious wear layer type material. Cost would easily be @ 8$ a ft.

3. Jarsnice

Jarsnice New Member

So It would cost me 8$ a sq ft to DIY it. So you wouldn’t recommend me going the acid stained route for my flooring? Any suggestions for what I could do to the concrete, I don’t mind some character in the floor, just so it looks decent and is durable. perhaps just polishing it? Or epoxy?

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

8 is for a pro to do it, DIY - there’s Ardex products or maybe others but Ardex SD-M? May be be one product you could use. It is what I was contemplating on another house we owned.

5. Jarsnice

Jarsnice New Member

When you mentioned grind off all contaminants would the commercial orbital polishing machines I see on many of the videos online for doing concrete acid stain prep work, be capable to remove all of the contaminates? Then after prepping use th ARDEX sdm, then I would stain and seal the ARDEX top?