Concrete floor after peel and stick tile removal.

Discussion in 'Concrete Floor Finishes' started by MoeMosh, Oct 8, 2017.

1. MoeMosh

MoeMosh New Member

Hello all,
    I have a lazily converted garage in my new home. The floor is concrete with peel and stick tiles. They were damaged and missing in places so I started removing them. They came up easily, but left behind a very thin layer of adhesive leaving the concrete tacky.

Long term, I will finish the conversion with nice flooring, but for now it is just going to be a work shop. It doesn't need to be pretty, but I was hoping to find a temporary solution to protect the bare concrete and won't make things harder in the future. I was thinking of just painting or sealing.

How important is removing the adhesive?
    If important, how do I go about it?

I have tried scraping it, but it is too thin for scraping to affect. It is mainly just tackiness. I tried a concrete cleaner (krud Killer I think). But it had little to no effect. I tried a wire brush attachment on my driver, but it is a really long process and I'm not sure it's helping other than adhesive gumming up on the brush. I don't want to wear out my driver, but it's the only thing that has been even minimally successful.

Any advice on making the floor usable/properly maintained would be greatly appreciated.

Moe

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Cheap and quick solution is to dust the floor with dry prep and broom it around. This will take away the stickiness of the adhesive but will lead to tracking prep residue back into the house.

A better solution would be to skim coat the floor. I would think a second coat of a micro topping like Ardex SDM and a coat of sealer would give you a finished floor that will last until you’re ready to do something else

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MoeMosh

MoeMosh New Member

Thanks, Chris.
    I'll pick up some ardex. I have some sealer, but was concerned that the residual adhesive would negatively affect a skim coat adhering.

Two questions for clarification:
    1. Do I dust the floor with dry prep before the ardex skim coat?
    2. Do I use two applications of ardex before applying a sealer?

Sorry if these questions are obvious.
    And Thanks so much for your advice!
    Moe

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Don't dust it if you are going to skim it. Dusting a floor out is just a cheap way to get that adhesive film to be not so sticky. It sure is messy though.

Skim it and you are golden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Agree with Mark on the skimming of the floor. Possibly 2 coats depending on your level of perfection and the stickiness of the floor. Ardex Feather Finish is not meant to be a finished floor surface so after you skim coat the floor I would recommend a micro topping such as Ardex SDM. It comes in grey or white and it is a 2 coat process itself but it will be a finished floor that you can seal and call it good. If you really want to get fancy, hit the floor with a white buffer pad after the SDM but before sealing it to really make it pop.

Best of luck with your project.

6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Man, Chris you can't agree with me... I'm in the middle of agreeing with you. This was your idea :)

Be cautious with a sealer as well, only because depending on what you plan on installing in the future it may need to be removed. Then again, that's the future and this is the now.