Computer Upgrades & Problems

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by Daris Mulkin, May 20, 2013.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have been having trouble with computer upgrades. Reason for desktop being in the shop as I type this. Desktop upgraded a couple weeks ago and my whole screen changed. Guessing it went from IE-7 to IE-9. Its not asking me to upgrade to that anymore now. Also couldn't watch any of the news videos on MSN, but could watch them everywhere else. Then it got slow and kept getting pop ups IE has quit working, Floor Pro is not responding, crap like that.
    Guy working on it thinks maybe Google Chrome has something to do with it. Thats something else I got as an upgrade. Don't know squat about Chrome.
    Old computer that I have in workroom upgrded something and now videos will only show a couple of seconds of the video at a time. Have to keep clicking on them.
    Not good for guy who isn't computer smart.

Daris

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Daris,

To avoid confusion, we should only discuss one computer in a topic. Start a new topic for each machine. Describe the system in detail (as much as you know), including the hardware and software. You can get most of that information from your computer in a couple different places. Start with the basics by clicking the Start button, then right-click My Computer (or Computer) and select Properties. This will tell you what version of Windows you are using, including any service packs, and it will also tell you what the hardware basics are - the Processor/CPU and RAM.

You can get more detailed info by clicking the link to Device Manager, where it will tell you the rest of the hardware list. Take special note of any red Xs or yellow exclamation marks, which always mean trouble.

Software is something else that may be important to know. You can get a mostly complete list by going into the Control Manager and selecting the item for Programs (it's different in Windows XP and Windows 7, but they both say something about Programs). You don't necessarily have to list every program you have installed, but the important ones would be any security related software and any programs you use frequently, like accounting, image, gaming or work related software. You should also list any web browsers installed and indicate the one you use the most. Include the version numbers of all the software.

I'd also like to remind anyone reading this that TFP will only allow the support of legitimately owned software. It can be free software, but if someone sent you a program or you downloaded one that needs some kind of special code to make it run and that code didn't come from the software vendor or manufacturer, then that software is illegal.

Describe the problems you are having in detail. If you say you did an upgrade, tell us exactly what the upgrade was. Was it to the hardware or to a software program? Did you switch to a new operating system? Did you have the memory replaced or change the video card? You may not know what these things are, but if it was done by a shop, your invoice should tell you.

It's important to know what you were doing when you experienced the problem - the screen went blank when I clicked a link, the mouse pointer jumps around when I try to point it, the letter V repeats a bunch of times when I only tapped it once - and the exact wording of any error messages you get and how they appeared.

Providing detailed information like this is as close as we can come to taking a "peek under the hood." You certainly wouldn't leave out vital information, like make and model, if you were asking a mechanic about your broke down car. You wouldn't tell them you were concerned about the thump-thump-thump you hear when driving down the road without including the fact that you just ran over a board with a bunch of nails in it.

Thanks for bringing this subject up, Daris. I'm making this topic a sticky topic so others will understand just what kind of information we need when asking for computer help. Please start a new topic to discuss and get support for your computer. Some of our flooring professionals are also quite good with computers. I'm sure they feel the same as I do, that we want to help you solve the problems. The more info you can supply, the quicker you will find the solution.

Jim