Commercial Carpet Peel 'N Stick with attached foam padding.

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Incognito, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Auditorium in Long Beach CA.

Aside from the lack of HVAC and lighting it's actually a decent job.

38 inch pattern match

Attached Files:

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Limited to what I see, but did you carpet in the chair rows? Chair legs in way?

3. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm coming up with 400 lin feet of reducer and 1 man 5 days to install it. :eek:

Attached cushion !! :eek: Was scribing out material needed, at the nose
    to make the stair bend ?

My best 'Labor Power ' guesstimate, from photos would be 3 men 7 days

As always, Gr8t work Team Ingognito ! :yesss:

Mike

4. Incognito

It's 1400 s/y all walkways and steps.

I haven't figured all the reducers yet. They just sent 300' and it's not enough but I haven't had time to tally up the exact totals. Mainly, I'm struggling to make sure we don't waste material. I was ALONE yesterday. I fired the crackhead apprentice who's been dragging me down. The Super called the shop and ordered more production. Today it was myself, two other journeyman and two apprentices. One apprentice is fairly skilled. The other moves materials, scrapes and sweeps, hauls trash and puts down the carpet mask (protection).

My big challenge here is to be frugal with the layout. That means some cross seams here and there. They're not HORRIBLE but I would say they're difficult and time consuming to align the pattern and work it out so they don't know you put a cross seam there. I can do it. Not so sure what the other guys might do. I'm frankly afraid to let them. I make all the cross seams.

That's how I roll.

On that plan that's just one level. There's three levels to this auditorium. We've got quite a few yards of lino to lay in the basement. At least 600 s/y.

Attached Files:

5. glueit

glueit Pro Member

Looking good. That's a tough pattern for that space and coupled with all the reducer you have your hands full. I love the material your working with, will wear and probably outlast most.
    I stuck two pieces togeather for my dog as a mat four years ago, been outside in the elements and is still stuck togeather. That's a heck of a adhesive on the back.
    Are you using a primer?

6. Incognito

Tandus/ C&A requires a primer on any porous substrate like concrete. We're contacting the riser and 4" or so of the step on the nosing side. The flat work is getting a heavy coat of their primer. The base is mostly wood base, installed and already painted. Where we cut to drywall or concrete it a flat, rubber, carpet base (Burke). So I'm using a carpet scrap to really coat up to the walls-------double coat mostly------so it doesn't curl away.

I forgot to answer Mike's question about relief cuts/ gauging the cushion to make the wrap easier. NO. With contact cement on the riser and nosing it's not the least bit necessary. Grabs like hell.

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Do you have edge seams to cut in that stuff or do you just line it up, pull the paper and stick?

8. Incognito

you double cut all the seams with a soft serpentine using the glass cutter

generally, they come out invisible, even the cross seams with the exception of the roll crush and curling on the last 5-10' of the roll

there's a lot of "pile crush" and they SHOULD be allowed to lay out flat to relax and acclimate but that doesn't happen in real life

So you often get an initial shading/mismatch look along with some creases that take a while to lay flat. If you do a thorough job priming and do everything else correctly that all walks in and lays down eventually.

9. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

Great work Incognito. When we retire who's going to go balls out and do what needs doing?

10. Incognito

Thank you Sir. We've got good men coming up behind us in this company I work for. I've trained most of them but there's some other guys roundabout my age who are also generous with sharing the skills--------but also the ATTITUDE, which is at least as important. Fact is we cant do this jobs solo in any way. The other top guys are running their own jobs so I HAVE to get everyone working with me trained up well or frankly my head explodes.

Our union isn't powerful like some few other unions so the employers can really pick through the dead weight guys and get them off the crews for the most part.

That keeps them honest and God only knows they need that. I've seen the alternative where the union is powerful and deadbeats can get 9-11 months of work + overtime REGARDLESS of how much the suck. It's torture to try to run jobs dealing with those knuckleheads. They are still the minority of any union (Local) that I've encountered. But the top guys stay busy at the good shops. So and out of town crew that has to hire local guys gets the...............bottom of the barrel.

Geez, I hate to badmouth the union. There's good and bad in EVERYTHING and I hear and read a lot of BS propaganda against union workers so since so few in this country actually know anything about private sector unions I like to share that here. My buddy just got the job as the instructor at the Apprenticeship. He's a great guy and the kids will be lucky to work with him.

11. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

I just certified 6 Union guys at Surfaces. Good guys with good skills and some of them younger. One guy older than me (by one year).
    We have hybrid shops here in WI. Both subs and union out of the same shop. I heard the use the union guys to start and slowly replace them with scabs over the course of the project.:(

12. Incognito

I've been that scab guy-------for a very short period. My excuse/rationalization was that the union wouldn't let me enter as an apprentice or journeyman. It wasn't like I was NOT going to work. I did what I had to do until they let me in.

It was all pretty sleazy and mobbed up in those days. I sure hope they've cleaned some of that up. But who knows?

13. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

You seem to always be in a flooring installer's nightmare. Of course you might view some of the residential stuff we have to put up with in the same light.

14. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I've gone back n forth with my feelings towards unions over the years. We got hosed during negotiations many years ago and that pissed me off enough to ditch the union. 20 years later and I've been hosed by various shops over the years that want to increase profits at the installers expense. Now that I'm older, getting hosed is getting hosed. Doesn't matter who the hoser is when I'm the hosee. At least in the union there is damn good training (at least here), you make a living wage and you have BENEFITS. My youngest son is in welding school and, I think with the way things are now, my best advice to him is to go union.

Just my 2 cents.

15. Incognito

If they had heat and lights and less other trades on site it wouldn't be so bad. I don't mind a challenge but sometimes they're asking too much.

16. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm on one of those jobs now, way to early but git er done.

17. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And I just looked at one, no windows, temp heat, portable power panels, dirt all over but get that white sheet goods installed so we can walk all over it and destroy it........ then blame the mfg!:ohno:

18. Incognito

I feel really bad. The lights came on today and I have 7 rolls of carpet left + base and the lino. It was late in the day. I'm afraid to go back now and see what's what.

19. Incognito

Gonna have to put stringers on these steps..........nice to know after the fact.

Attached Files:

20. Incognito

Some more progress photos.

Got screwed up on the first two steps and had to demo them, toss the goods and start from scratch. I knew there was a slight radius. I didn't realize how that wouldn't work with my plan.

I was butting the bottom side. Instead I had to follow the reducer line and start on the top as the reducers follow a laser line. Working from the bottom up resulted in twisting the pattern way out of whack as the material followed the radius of the riser. Hope I explained that right.

No pictures of the FAILURE. As we have 300' of extra carpet no one is going to miss 7'.

Attached Files: