commercial carpet install

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Video Collection' started by Andy B Cumming, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Andy B Cumming

Andy B Cumming Pro Member

Commercial carpet installation from prep-work to clean-up. Not me but here goes...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQaPgH-BX9o]YouTube - Commercial Carpet Installation[/ame]

2. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

I'm underwhelmed.

3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

True professionals. Nottttttttt

4. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

Watching videos like this get me a bit riled up. This is an insult to anyone who even attempts to be a pro much less those who are. The sad reality is anyone who does not know carpet will think this is correct and is in fact a menial labor task. Equally bad, many will think they can do it themselves.

I love the radio in the background...

Idiots like this are the only argument I know of for limiting access to the internet...

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

But if they watch it here on TFP, they will know the truth. :yesss:

Jim

6. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

And the truth shall set you free!!!!! Yea yah!!!

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Oh, where to start. Maybe it was the horrible mixing of the Ardex that started things off all wrong. Or maybe it was double cutting the seams with a utility knife. No kneepads indicate that these guys don't do this everyday, but the wear spots in their jeans indicate that they've done it enough to know better.

8. Peter Kodner

Didn't see a roller with the tools and scraps either.
    I did love the trowel used for the patching. Probably used it to spread glue without cleaning it first too.

9. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

i wonder how its gonna bond to the floor without rolling it?

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I can't tell you just how many thousands of yards I have installed when working a workroom that I did it the very same way. Mixing the prep on the floor [still do] and double cutting the seams [don't do now]. Always rolled though and used the metering end on the caulk gun for base.
    Hey at least they cleaned up the scraps and vacuumed. Ya got to give them credit for that.

Daris

11. Al Gladden

Al Gladden stretcherman Charter Member

at least they used seam sealer... ya know when i was a little al my dad would buy the gallon buckets of covebase glue and you had to glue the base with a hand trowel....that might be why i do not install covebase anymore..

12. getoverit

getoverit Pro Member

I've had the occasion to mix patch on the floor more then once. Never double cut seams. As far as covebase goes, I always spread the walls. I could never go very fast spreading the base or with a gun.

13. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

No comment.

14. rusty baker

I'm surprised that he didn't put his heel thru the carpet kicking it sideways. Should always use the side of your foot.

15. Peter Kodner

I can't be sure, and I'm certainly not going to waste another 9 minutes to verify, but was that a unitary back?

16. rusty baker

It looked like a unitary.

17. GoodHouse

GoodHouse Charter Member

That is a typical commercial glue down install.

I don't see the point of all the criticism? Looks like a professional job and clean from the video. I would guess he used that table upside down to "roll the carpet". Mabe he used a roller and no one video'd it. Either way, the glue will bond.

Who cares if you mix patch on the floor, on a scrap, in a bucket, its patch; doesnt have to look pretty.

This guy obviously knows how to get a job done efficiently. I don't think hes trying to be an artist, i think hes trying to make money and have a business.

In video, job looks fine. Seams are sealed, job is clean. Double cutting is not an inferior method, but a different one. Most commercial carpets are junk and by the time your down rowing, fiddling with the bows and whips, stay nails, ets, you'd wish you double cut it and been done for the day.

18. DJ

DJ Charter Member

:eek: ok:blink: i wouldn't want that clown working fur me:ohno: where is that a typical commercial glue down?:blink: humor me..........after watching that i feel :sick: :poke: :hmmm: :eek: :blink: :brick: holy crap!!:blink: :blink: k, i'm done now

19. rusty baker

Those guys are the typical commercial installers that I see on many jobs. They have that "slap it in and get paid" mentality. I would have fired them, early on.:ohno:

20. DJ

DJ Charter Member

wonder what their van looks like :blink: looking at their atire i would not of even gave them a employment app:ohno: