Cold

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Lo Down, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Sorry CP, I wasn't really serious about wanting the cold to go east. [​IMG]
    It looked clear a a bell this morning. ..... sorry about that Chief. :ohno:

Work has been slow and far between and I got lucky enough to do a repair job 50 miles south of here. I started Thursday, only to find they close on Fridays due to a new 10/4 work week.................. meaning Friday Saturday and Sunday I couldn't work there. :ohno: It's in the office area where it would be to everyones benefit if I worked when they weren't there.
    I asked if I could work Friday and over the weekend to move things along................ nope! :yell: I guess I look like a terrorist er sompin'
    Job is at a county electrical COOP shop office area, and I figure they think I might invade their computers and do somethin mischievious like make the lights in town blink off and on. :eek::confused::eek::confused::(

Friday, today and tomorrow have been acceptable as far as weather goes.............. but Sunday and for a good part of next week we are into a nasty cold weather system from the "great white north"..................... CP, you are gonna have it worse than we will on the coast I'm sure........... but you already know that.
    Temps here on the coast could drop into the teens at night, and below freezing for daytime highs. Snow levels associated with the winter storm will get to 500 feet elevation during the next few days. I was hoping to go back down south and work on that repair job on Monday, hopefully finishing up on Thursday.
    I have one little problem if the snow levels are accurate. A long steep hill on the Oregon 101 highway tops out at just over 600 feet. (especially if the snow elevation prediction changes a few hundred feet... and it could)
    Man, that could mess up at least Monday and Tuesday's work until clear skies prevail later in the week.
    If any of you have some anti-snow dances that can be performed soon................. please feel free to aim them at the southern Oregon coast. We have too many hills here, and don't need no snow.

Bad feelings tho................. winter cold is considered to be bad here if it drops near the mid 20's on a bad winter day.
    We had 24 inches of snow on one night in the 68/69 winter when I was a kid.
    Exactly 20 years later in the 88/ 89 winter, we got 11 inches of snow followed by two weeks of below freezing high temperatures
    with a record low of 9 one morning...................... In my 51 years of life here, I have never seen anything remotely close to that....................... maybe 19 once, a looong time ago???

Anyhow, this is the 2008/2009 winter season................... Is this oncomming cold front going to continue our 20 year legacy of record setting weather.................... I sure hope not.

If any of you guys have one of those crazy rituals to go outside naykid with a broom and a bag full of magic glitter and dance away the bad weather............... please do it before Monday. :help:

Yes, we are total wimps out here in the west coast in Oregon. Compared to many northern states, we just don't get real weather here. No snow plows, no barns full of salt............. they just sprinkle gravel here and there when it gits icky.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

It's just strange here. The high Sunday is supposed to be 64. Monday 23, with freezing rain and sleet. Lo, don't send any more bad weather east. Nobody wants it.

3. Lo Down

I simply sent it east, and CP was supposed to deal with it from there. Maybe he sent it to you 'cause he couldn't deal with it either.
    CP, why'd ya do that? :hu:
    Play it forward Rusty.... pass it on.

CP, I still think you have one of the neatest city cams on the internet................ especially this time of year. It looks like a post card.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  4. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Just a quick thank-you, there Lo..............:eek:............:poke:............:yell:.........:brick:

5. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

We're getting it here.

I think I'll pass it on to Daris. :D

6. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Charter Member Senior Member

I don't like cold weather either lodown.........:ohno: A good way to stay warm is wear a hat and put on a turtle neck Dickie or fleece. If your head and neck is warm, it makes you feel like your whole body is warm.......... well sorta......;)

7. cproader

:eek:............I'm in the doghouse this weekend fer some reason, so here's a shot of my backyard and all I get to see of my house, it's cold out here, cause I can't get my fireplace goin........:help:...........maybe I can think of somethin nice to say to her..........:ohno:......maybe she will feel sorry fer me...........:(

Attached Files:

8. rusty baker

Just say you are sorry. You know we guys are always wrong. Do you have cable in the doghouse?

9. cproader

:eek:.........aint gonna happen.........and I got cable, and very loud outdoor speakers too.......:dance:

10. Lo Down

Tell her if she drops by the mall, to ask Santa to put more coal than usual in your stocking this year.
    ................. kinda like a subliminal "I'm sorry" without actually admitting guilt to anything specific. ;)

11. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Tell her you will get her a taser for Christmas it only uses itty-bity triple A batteries. ;)

12. Lo Down

...... and gloves Jerry. Fingerless wool gloves work well for me................ which is kinda strange, because I have fingers. :hu:
    The road conditions are what bugs me right now. The weather reports keep changing............. sometime this morning the report still said 500 ft snow levels, but added very little if any accumulation................ keep dancin fellas' ;)

13. rusty baker

I'll take snow. They say we are gettin' sleet and freezin' rain.

14. cproader

:eek:.................:ohno:

15. cproader

:eek:...............what a gal.........:yesss:

Attached Files:

16. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

That's her idea of what to feed the DOG!!!:eek::eek:

17. cproader

:eek:...............:(

18. cproader

:eek:..........now that ya said that Rg, I'm thinkin I need a test taster...........:help:

19. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Sorry, Lo, I feel your pain. I spent 3 years in Victoria and another year in Nanaimo, BC. Victoria still shuts down when they get snow...

Where we are here in southern Ontario, we contend with constant freeze-thaw conditions. We have an extended cargo van, and if there's going to be snow, we load bags of concrete or floor mix from the shop for extra weight. If we don't have the ballast available to us, WE STAY HOME. Nobody's floor is worth taking your life in your hands.

If we get ice? Ditto.

Our thoughts are out to all of those in the northeast, sitting in the dark and freezing their butts off. Hope you get power back real quick.

Be safe, drive carefully, use your best judgment whether to go or not.

(We have a major thaw here tomorrow, and need it for access to the job we have rescheduled from Wednesday last week, when we had a flash freeze after rain.)

D&D

20. rusty baker

It was 71 at 2 pm, now at 9 pm it is 21, with thunder and sleet.