click together and glue lvp

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by mikeroc, Feb 12, 2020.

1. mikeroc

mikeroc New Member

New here, I am finishing a 3 season room at grade. The floor was prepared as follows. 4" of crush run, 1 inch of foam, 1/2 inch rebar and 6 inches of concrete. Very stable base.. Is it flat? Well it was hand troweled by a pro and variations are + or - 1/4 or less. There are no obvious imperfections. Room is 13' x 23'. Only one cut out 4"x10", and no under cuts. Room temp is 45 F to 80 F. I like the click together lvp but don't like the hollow sound of it. Has anyone used click together with releasable adhesive or conventional adhesives? I like the thick lvp 8mm with 20 mil wear layer types. A click product glued down seems like a better installation, less movement and no hollow sound. Would buckling be an issue? It seem it wouldn't because some lvp is designed for glue down. Any thoughts, any manufacturers ok with this?

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

You can glue down most floating floors. Each manufacturer has different recommendations.

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

WHy would you want the click lock BS if you're using glue?

Seems like something only a novice would ask. I hate click-lock systems and have used glue on them a couple times. It's the most ridiculous BS in the flooring industry.

One or the other---------glue or float

OK?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mikeroc

mikeroc New Member

I read about separation in both click and glue down. I'm not really a novice and have done hardwood and tile installs. That said I have not done lvp install. Explain why its bullshit? It may be bullshit if your trying to make profit on an install. Your click and glue install did it turn out bad? Was the customer unhappy for whatever reason? Glue coming up from seams? Or did it look great when done? Please explain..

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The whole point of a floating floor is ease and cost of installation. There are times when using an adhesive with a floating floor is recommended. The adhesive is used to overcome the weakness inherent to a floating floor. The torque from an electric wheel chair will destroy the locking mechanisms. Extreme sunlight will cause LVP to expand beyond what it can recover from. Excessively heavy rolling loads will also destroy the locking mechanisms. Adhesive will help overcome these shortcomings of a floating floor. Incognito’s point was if you have a floor that won’t handle the abuse that is going to be thrown at it, why not just get an LVP that was meant to deal with those factors in the first place. I also have to agree with that point of view. If you’re going to glue a floor down, wtf are you doing wasting your time with a damn locking mechanism.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It is aggravating working with both methods at one time. I’ve never done it.

I wonder the two opposing forces, the click wanting a flat even plane, then the adhesive wanting to draw floor down to its irregularities. Will it start making release noises? Based upon the floor not being flat.

Room being square (rectangle?) there’s not many obstacles to go around.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Separation of joints isn’t a problem if you do what you’re supposed to. If you must glue, roll out a pressure sensitive adhesive with a paint roller, then let it dry to the touch before installation.

8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Separation of joints is absolutely a problem with electric wheel chairs and excessive rolling loads if you don’t glue the LVP. I’ve had it happen with Floorte and a 400# disabled veteran that used a walker. All the butt joints blew out in the main traffic pattern where he pushed on the walker with all his might. In that specific situation we glued all the butt joints with Titebond. Worked like a champ. Had I known this would have been a problem before the job I would have recommended a glue down installation. Live and learn.

As far as which specific adhesive to use, that depends on your specific floor. Some floors are just as simple as a PS adhesive. Others are not. I was talking with Sara from Shaw technical services about this specific subject a couple weeks ago. Floorte with attached pad requires a specific adhesive that will adhere to the pad. Coretec with a cork backing requires a different adhesive that will adhere to the cork and a plain ol plank with no attached pad can require yet another specific adhesive. Some floors will allow multiple choices of adhesive. It just depends on which product you pick. So if you’re considering doing a glue down floating floor installation I’d recommend contacting that flooring manufacturers technical services and asking which adhesive is acceptable/ recommended to use. It will absolutely affect your warranty if you just use any old glue. Shoot, I had to inspect a job where the installer used multi purpose adhesive, because that’s what he had on his truck, to do a flight of stairs. Surprisingly the laminate was stuck like chuck. To bad his craftsmanship wasn’t that good while installing the stairs.

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

There are circumstances where you can't glue the resilient flooring down-------You can't remove the existing because of cost/time/asbestos/appliances.............whatever. So I understand the utiity of the floating systems.

I would only ever choose a "click-lock" floating assembly system if there were some serious issues that prevented the BEST installation------GLUE.

So I'm dumbfounded why anyone would ever purchase a floating floor and then glue it down. Nearly all the choices as far as style, color, thickness, quality, whatnot could be found across the spectrum of manufacfturers and their dozens of varieties of products with or without glue.

That's my point. CHOOSE a floating system or a glue down product amongst an absurd and extreme excess of choices. DONT mix and match. There's just no reason to ever do that. YES.....it's stupid hard to put the click lock in the glue. But I get paid by the hour so I make MORE money when the customer and employer make stupid mistakes.

Union

10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Most manufacturers offer the same product in floating or glue down.

If its going to make you feel better to glue the floating floor, then glue it (if manufacturer says ok). It won't hurt anything.

11. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

Not all floating lvt is appropriate for a 3 season room. Will the room be climate controlled with heat and ac? If not I would probably look towards an SPC lvt if you plan to float. If you are gluing in an unheated space pressure sensitive adhesive may need to be substituted with an epoxy.