Cleaning Chalky Concrete

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Mike Antonetti, May 12, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Not sure what approach or method I will use to remove chalky residue after grinding soft slabs. Couple customers remarked about it, not a problem with hard slabs but not sure if it can be removed and just restart dusting after dry( thinking water pressure/extract system or maybe an acrylic liquid compatible with new flooring.

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

My only experience with this is using a floor scrubbing machine...not very time efficient but cleans well

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike Antonetti

There’s a cylindrical drum system versus the rotating pad but I don’t think it will get the nooks and crannies and the extraction needs to be immediate otherwise the water/dust mix will soak back into the slab. I don’t want to let standing water dwell on slab as moisture could damage things.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Probably better off just letting your customers know that it is a possibility and you won’t know until you’re done. Maybe offer to prime the concrete, just like gypcrete, as an additional service that you offer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

6. Mike Antonetti

Ken, That is the one I was looking into before I gave it a long thought, I like to really mull over thoroughly any possible inadequate abilities of equipment nowadays before purchase.

I called a company I googled for tile and grout cleaning about my house and the minor amount of residue after water hose, scrub, wet vac up. Tried the whirlybird, didn’t work too well, not sure different jets, high powered wet vac.

This has been irking me for a few years now. One customer wasn’t impressed with our work and wanted to damp mop due to dog walking into living room hardwood from kitchen demo.

Attached Files:

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Did you tell them that their concrete is garbage and you can’t help that aspect?

8. Mike Antonetti

That particular home I sent pics of slab all cracked up to the installing retailer. They responded that section/subdivision of homes were notorious for that. They went out of business, finally demolished their eyesore premanufactured office on the main highway.

It would be nice to put liquid on slab to bond everything back together. I inquired Mapei couple years ago for chalky concrete, they never got back with me. Sometimes I’m not assertive enough and let things fall by the wayside and move on, well it’s back again and I’m looking for answers once again. Time has a way of healing someone said.

9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

If the slab is chalky won’t it just dust up again after it drys out from being cleaned? Is this a common complaint you get? Just wondering where this is on level of importance.

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

11. Mike Antonetti

I deal with that guy, buy rags a lot and ship em to my house. Debbie I call and she can get me stuff sometimes the next day. Greg is the owner, I talked to him one time when he bought the Rolls Royce and said he had an addiction to cars, his wife wasn’t happy. They have another store in Miami.

He does have a lot of equipment, used as well. I looked through the repair shop and there’s tons of stuff and haven’t gotten to the back or boneyard. His sons work there also. They have good internet presence and craigslist, and I will go there when I get a chance. I really dislike the trek to Tampa and St. Pete for Janitors Closet and Jon Don, the traffic is horrendous.

Chris I assume yes if it’s pivoted on. The one job with dog I believe it would be about 4 days till install ceramic, hope they sponge the slab damp otherwise the slab will steal the water out of thinset and not bond to tile too well.

Same concept of say a self leveling primer, some say dilute 50/50 with water first coat, then full strength 2nd coat.