Cleaner stripped this

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Jon Scanlan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Got asked to have a look what a cleaner had done to the schools kitchen floor
    Its Marmo and been down about 10 years
    Any idea how the school can fix it?
    Me only lay the stuff

Attached Files:

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I can't really see how much of any damage is through into the surface layer and how much might just be the floor finish. Is the damage across the whole floor or just that blotch by the glaring reflection of the sun?

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Looks to me like they just mangled the finish/sealer.
    Strip and mop some more on, problem all gone.

Ammonia or its healthy alternative and a floor cleaner is all you are gonna need there. Can all be done with deck scrubs and a good mop too.

at least that is what i can see in the photo

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Wonder if it was Acetone that was used to clean.

5. Lino can be very touchy with regard to pH and chemistry compatibility of cleaning and maintenance products. That's one of the reasons they have their own pH neutral maintenance product. I would talk to their tech department and see what they recommend, if anything, to correct this. Before you call though they are going to want to know exactly the product used, how it was applied, and how long it was on there for.

I've seen the wrong types of cleaner actually dissolve a linoleum floor so it's definitely not something you want to guess at at this point. That's one of the disadvantages of lino vs. vinyl - it's more susceptible to certain types of chemical exposure.

As a side note, I used to do a little presentation about this when lino began getting hot during the big LEED push a few years back. I'd put a piece in a cup of high pH floor stripper and do my spiel. When I finished, about a half hour later, I'd pick the piece up out of the stripper and it would just fall apart right in front of the group. I know, I know, cheap and a bit underhanded but effective.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Its over the whole floor
    two drops about 10 foot long
    I would have it at a guess the cleaner would have nothing to lose by putting more of his stripper on