clean cat barf carpet stain from UV light?

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by DIYPeter, Sep 2, 2017.

1. DIYPeter

DIYPeter Member

Years ago I had a sick cat that barfed on carpet. Those areas have been cleaned and vacuumed many times. However under UV light (black light), blotches show up on the carpet.

Eventually I will replace the carpet, but in the short term, is there some carpet shampoo I can use to erase these UV sensitive blotches?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I like spot shot for spot cleaning. Not sure if uv light reflects it so spray in a clean spot to see. Follow up with rinse. A shop vac is an extractor. As carpet dries to the surface it wicks the things that soaked into carpet backing upward to fibers.

3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

The problem with a lot of those store bought spot cleaners is that they have optical brighteners in them which is what you're seeing with the uv light. Not sure if cleaning the carpet will make a difference or not

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Kind of curious here. Do you have a uv light on all the time or is it just something that bugs you and you want it gone? Do the spots show up all the time?

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  5. DIYPeter

DIYPeter Member

I only shine UV on the carpet when I'm cleaning it. A lot of hard-to-see things show up under UV like clothing lint (which is considered "dust"), and organic stains. Knowing the stains is there under UV bugs me.

• Like Like x 1