Changing times

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by kwfloors, Jul 6, 2019.

1. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

So out running around today. My wife wants a new recliner in the living room. Go to a furniture store with a big sale, wait til they open. Go in and try some out, ok we will buy this one. Pay at the counter, go to door 2 to pick up. Drive to that door and salesman comes out and says we can't sell that one today so it will be here in a week. I done shopping these stores anymore, if they want to sell product they better have it.

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yea years back my older daughter was getting a new bed so we take the truck to go with her to pick it up she pays for it then they are like it will be here in a few weeks..... She was like that’s when I’ll pay you then lol
    We left and got one at a different store in stock

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Stores just can't carry goods in stock like they used to. The competition from online sales has eaten into their profitability and cash reserves. Used to be able to buy an appliance off the floor at a Lowe's or BestBuy, but haven't been able to do that for years now, at least not in Reno, NV.

4. kwfloors

I did read somewhere that todays generation buys online more so the major chains are putting in sample stores so you can touch and feel it there but order online.

5. kwfloors

At least you can still buy whiskey....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

That’s how Rooms2Go works, order in Daytona and furniture comes out of Lakeland, set up appt date for delivery and pay delivery charge. Then some stuff like tables they have to put together. There’s a ton of furniture stores there so some are floor sales.

At Lowe’s they had free delivery of fridge etc. ok, when? Next week. I want it now.

7. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Yep. I've always been a take my van, take my stuff home that day kind of guy. My wife bought a gorgeous leather sectional, 3 electric recliners, couple other seats no one want to sit in (Lol). When you have to plug a couch in, and it has these mystery clips that hook together, well, that's when we shop from her car. All I need to do is plop myself in to the chair and say yes or no. She makes more money then me, so thats as far I has get involved in furnishings, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I'm not allowed to be involved with these kinds of major decisions. I just provide the funding for the purchasing process. Hell, I'm not even allowed to have the actual Kroger card. I have to punch our phone # in every time I buy something at the grocery store. There are just certain things that I apparently cannot be trusted with. :nooo::yesss:

9. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

You are not alone:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I wish more dealers would adopt that policy. I could buy a small island with the number of times that we've dealt with returns from dealers because of that exact scenario. I think that it should be slightly amended though to read wife or interior designer. That would save so much time and effort.

Trust me, I'm ok with my wife's policy. It's just less things I have to worry about and after almost 32 years together (we've been together since I was 16) I actually appreciate all the work she saves me from making the wrong choice. Happy wife = happy life.