Changing laminate direction

Discussion in 'Laminate Flooring Q&A' started by Tfortenberry, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Tfortenberry

Tfortenberry Member

we had laminate installed in main areas of home last year. The main area meets 3 of the bedrooms and each has a transition strip (carpet in bedrooms). I am now replacing carpet with same laminate in those bedrooms. Should I keep the same direction going with the laminate or can I change direction? The transition pieces will remain. I think the bedrooms would look better with laminate running left to right under beds instead of top to bottom but that would require changing direction.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You would probably need a "T" transition piece, where the raw edge of the laminate floats under each side of the transition trim, allowing for the necessary gap at all vertical obstructions.

transition-t01.jpg

3. Tfortenberry

Tfortenberry Member

The transition pieces already in place are the T ones. I was just wondering about changing direction of laminate.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Sorry, I thought it was obvious in my answer that you could with a T transition.

5. Pioneer Carpets

Pioneer Carpets Pro Member

Any which way you want as long as you have that T-moulding at the doorway. Get wild and run it at a 45

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I believe you’re asking aesthetics. Will it be wrong to change direction? No, it’s a personal preference. If all 3 bedrooms are same direction one could settle in their mind it was thought out. Think I had 5 different floors in my small home, I think it’s too many. Some type of uniformity and logic and you’re good to go.