CFI in Dallas this August

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Rodney Henderson, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Rodney Henderson

Rodney Henderson Pro Member

I'm working on planning a trip to the CFI annual convention this august in dallas to start getting my certifications, my question is which certification ahould i get first? As of right now i install carpet, sheet vinyl, laminate, lvt products, and vct for the public. I want to branch into hardwood, i have some experience with it but not enough to do for the public. Would taking the hardwood & laminate course be the way to go or do i need to do something else for that? I figure asking you guys who have been involved with these events would have some good advice for me. Thanks!

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

To start with you have to have 2 years in the trades to do a certification. If you have that then it is the lower levels that you can take. But if it was me I would do what you have the most experience at. Now remember it is a test. Lower levels you can be helped but you have to do the work. Upper levels there is no help. You are given a job and you have to do it.
    Hope this helps.

:old:

Daris

3. Rodney Henderson

That does help, alot actually, thank you for that Daris!

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Now the convention itself is a real good time for networking. A lot of the tool manufacturers are there including the mill installers and higher ups. If you are like me I have my mouth open a lot just listening to the other installers and their projects. Also just a great time and good food. The time spent is on time frames so you get to know a lot of people. After hours it is time for partying or whatever suits your fancy.

:old:

Daris

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I've only taken the carpet courses from CFI, other surfaces from various facilities, they only had carpet to begin with, but now do all I suppose. Not sure how well the new courses are or the weight they carry or leads they generate vs the cost 245$ each?

Convention is fine, but I might get my courses local, or take the testing in Vegas for Surfaces, way more to get into. CFI convention is like music concerts for an analogy it's like a small venue(club)not Stadium size.

It would be sad if the Superhero didn't show up!

6. Rodney Henderson

They are $495 dollar courses for the level I

7. Mike Antonetti

Ok, I was unaware of the cost, been awhile. Gotta have the basics carpet. After that 5 bills hits the pocket. The experience helps 2yrs? I probably wouldn't go, but get certified locally,then five years later go.

If you had the 2 years experience already then yes, cert. Would confirm an installation position, not that I would throw you on anything, there would be assistance if needed, not sure if that happens anywhere, say for a layout or anything difficult to help you through. CFI would assist if you call within working hours. It's all about getting work and quality installations.

Certified Floorcovering Installers - Certifications

Also Dallas has been having some different weather patterns, August may see some hurricanes, just a possibility.

8. Rodney Henderson

Im really looking for ways to increase my knowledge of the industry, besides just doing my normal work, i figured going to the convention would be one of the best ways to do that, why do you suggest getting certified locally?

9. Mike Antonetti

I don't want to deter you if you have the funds, I was meaning if CFI was going to be training in your area to go there instead of laying out 3 G's.

Here's another analogy. If employees are being overworked and more employees are needed, they are then hired, not hired beforehand.

I've read your profile of 10 years, 2 on your own. What products are in demand? What will you be installing the most in the next two years? Carpet should be minimum certification. I took a pergo course before NALFA took over. Carpet and vinyl first two years after I started when I saw things were not done in my area the way it was supposed to be done.

10. Rodney Henderson

I see what you mean Mike, good thing i still have time to think this over! I also thought it would be enjoyable to be around so many other fellow installers and people involved in flooring and floor covering in one place, but it may not be the best choice for me right now. Its always nice to have an objective viewpoint from other people, kinda helps keep you in line, i will keep pondering on this.