CFI certification

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Tom Potter, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I been thinking about using a little slow time this winter to get CFI certified. I dont have to, It's more something I want to do for myself.

I wanted to get some input on what would be a good class to take & what the process is? Do you have to take every class to get a certificate? What would be the most beneficial thing to do?

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’d say go to TISE, envelop the whole scope of everything flooring including CFI which I believe does classes there but I’d hold off because there’s massive amounts of information. Then when you get back you can develop a game plan when the CFI tour gets to near your area.

I don’t know the clout hardwood or ceramic CFI certificate has, they are evolving/working with the other certifying entities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

FBA25EDE-7A15-4909-9A2B-5AC91A65F551.jpeg AEA3541E-8AB2-43B2-8BE5-566C3CEFD1B3.jpeg FA72C1C2-AF24-47EC-93EB-DADAA57B2986.jpeg 2E0E3A86-5492-4A8D-861D-8738C0AD85A7.jpeg

News flash... the CFI tour never comes to this area:(.
    I traveled to Maryland to get my R1,R2,C1,C2 ( residential carpet level one and two Commercial carpet level one and two ) in 2001 I believe.
    I did all 4 levels at once.
    Later received hard surface certification
    I went to the convention in 2002 In Kansas City. It was really informative!
    I don’t think the certifications ever earned me any more money.
    It was more just something I wanted to do . To set my self above the others in my area.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What does it cost every year?

5. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Yeah, CFI doesn't come to upstate NY that I'm aware of. So I'll be doing a little driving.
    Like don said, this is all just for me. It's kind of like someone that has been driving for 20+ years. It's nice that they know how to drive & all, but having a driving license is a great thing. I dont plan on making more money off of it, just will be nice to have it to set me apart from everyone else. Its always nice to have the paperwork to back up what you claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They always tell me to join and say that I can help share my knowledge and all but I don't need it. I do see where its a good thing. At the Tise show the union is there and I saw them the last time I was there. I would be retired by now if I was.

7. Mike Antonetti

I think my renewal is 100$ a year, I was going to renew at the convention in Orlando last month, there was no one at the registration desk, I stood there 10-15 minutes, then walked through the vendor show for 10 minutes and left.

The testing costs are a bit high as they add up fast for multiple category/level certifications. Now the WFA owns them so to me it kind of merged instead of fighting for:supplying power to the installer.

It can get you some referrals, I got about two phone calls a year asking for estimates.

8. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I been looking at the tise website & that definitely seems like something to check out. It also seems like a ton of stuff crammed into 3-4 days. I guess it's going to require a lot of homework to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck. Does anyone have any "must see's" to reccomend? So far I am on board for the LVP course. With the amount of that stuff I'm putting in it would be nice to have some paperwork for it.

Man, this is going to require some serious will power & strength on my part as its hosted at Mandalay bay in Vegas........... what could go wrong there:rolleyes:.
    No poker Tom! Ok, maybe just one hand.........;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Excellent, Tailor it to your needs, what is being called upon which results in quick return on investment.

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Wear comfortable shoes, you will need them. Tons of walking.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I've done Vegas probably 10 times. Haven't been in 5 years due to having a son/family now. My "go to" for Vegas is a good pair of sneakers & a jug of gold bond powder.
    I want to be all business for the tise event. But as long as I'm there.........I dont see a problem staying a few extra days to play. As the saying goes, "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy". That would be unfair to my family.......just have to convince the missus on thato_O

12. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

In all seriousness, I got a guy/friend that I have working with me that is as green as they come. He's retired Navy & comes and takes my abuse every day just to make some extra pocket jingle. I want to bring him along to take everything in too. There's also a sales rep I have in mind as well.
    I think this could be good for everyone in every aspect of the business. Then Finish up with a fun day or two in Vegas, in January, it might just be what the doctor ordered.

13. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The weather in Vegas in January is perfect! If you find the bar with the mechanical bull, I want video.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mike Antonetti

It will give anyone the full scope of entire aspect of the industry and knowledge to build on.

Little cold at night for me.

15. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

might be time to get my passport and head down that way.
    Get my car tuned by then and make a trip of it.
    Damn all you!!

16. Mike Antonetti

Stupid passport thing, not sure about the car, maybe rent one!

17. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Not for me in January. I live in northern NY right above the snow belt. It feels like a cool summer night to me around those month's.

It always throws me off when I'm walking around the strip & see locals all bundled up like its Antarctica. Meanwhile I'm walking around in a light hoodie with a 10 lb. Margarita hanging from a strap around my neck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

That Is a pain in the ass. I live 15 min from Canada & haven't been in years.
    When I lived in Rochester pre 9/11 I used to go to Niagara falls almost every weekend (drinking age difference). You used to be able to park on the US side & walk over for a quarter.
    I understand why it's the way it is. it's just unfortunate it has to be that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Going to TIES is always a good place to go and meet industry leader. Get to see all the new and great tools and product. We do get up that way now and then. You being part of C1 get your ring group to pull 10 or more installers together and we will be right up. Does it cost? Sure it does. I have gotten lots of work from it. If it was given away, what value would it have. The photo is my office with most but not all of my certifications and awards. My point of the picture is I still go to everything I can. never know it all, never stop learning.
    PS. Tell them you want to come to DC for the C1 convention first part of Jan. then look me up.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I want them to come to bloody Vancouver, I wish Canada had more industry appreciation... or if it did I wish I knew more about it!!

Nice wall by the way!

• Agree Agree x 2