Certified inspector Requirements?

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jerry Thomas, May 20, 2006.

1. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Charter Member Senior Member

I have been considering becoming an inspector type person one day. I see that NOFMA inspectors are required to have 2 years of college. What's with that? I am not really getting that part. Do I need to add I have never attended college :confused:

2. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

They probably want to be sure that you get a couple years of shameless partying out of your system before inspectors school.

3. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I've been having the same thoughts as you, Jerry. I wonder if the schools also teach you how to market yourself to the industry...
    I working again this weekend, the wear and tear factor from installing for almost 30 years is getting to me...I want to get out ,, before it gets me.:D

4. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The two years college is a NOFMA requirement. I do not require it for my school, and to my knowledge neither do the other schools. If you have questions, contact the various schools, look at their websites, or ask some of the inspectors that come here.

5. Floorguy

Floorguy The Living Dead Charter Member Senior Member

How did Lee get in then??? Two years of partying counts??? :help:

6. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

What is the name of your school Tandy ? To late skhardwoods , the dammage is done .. been at it 37 yrs , just cant do a full week anymore ..

7. Tandy Reeves

The name of my school is Flooring Inspectors Training Services, Inc. Email me or Call me on the toll free number 888-440-0699 and I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

8. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

Thanks Tandy .. Will E Mail you ..

9. selvalee

selvalee No one special Senior Member

BA, philosophy, gint,
    useful major,

I think if you have a number of years experience, and, you do well in the NOFMA installation school and the installation school test at the end of the week,,, and do well in the interview to get into the class, you may be admitted without the two years,, maybe,,, you have to know your installation and how to think, you show that, you have a good chance,,
    Tandy is a good instructor,, he has a good hands on class,,
    then, there is FCITS, IICRC (the carpet cleaners school who claim to know it all without ever touching it, no working with it, will not say more about them since I have nothing good to say about them), ICR does not have a hard surface class but they do have a carpet school like FITS and FCITS,,,

I try to stay out of the school politics these days except to say, I think you should have some type of hands on experience,, just squirting some water on carpet is not working with it,,, hell, I have been on inspections where carpet cleaning inspectors did not know what unitary was, how made,, one once told me the unitary was bad since they could not stretch it in right over pad,,,, get the idea about them??

10. selvalee

oh yea!
    I nearly forgot Dave Gobis,, at CTEF, great installation and inspection class! the best , both, in ceramic tile! a must to go to, Dave is the tile man, no other comes close!

and, you don't have to worry about where you stand with Dave,,, nope, not at all, before the week is out, you will know!
    slt

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Hello Tandy,

I just wanted to mention that even though advertising is against the rules (and I don't think you have broken the rule in this case), you can have a signature with images and/or text that links to your website. Even those members who do not have websites can use graphics or words in their signature to announce their business. As long as it is not construed as a banner advertisement that takes away from the content and purpose of the board, we should be able to let readers identify us with our businesses.

I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to borrow from your site to make a signature graphic for you to use as an example of what other members can do. You are welcome to use it as your signature by using the code below in the signature editor of your User CP. It links to your website so when someone clicks on it they are taken to your site in a new browser window (or tab as optioned in the browser).
    HTML:
    [center][url=http://www.fits4.org/index.html][img]https://thefloorpro.com/images/members/fits-sig-an.gif[/img][/url][/center]
    You can also copy the graphic to your own server and change the address to reflect that. This will allow you to use the graphic on any other site you want.

Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

If you prefer not to use it I can delete it from our server if you let me know.

12. Tandy Reeves

Thank you very much. I would love to have the signature as you have shown. I just hope I can move it like you said. When it comes to computers, I am as dumb as a rock. Thanks for a great site.

13. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

If it helps, I will teach you everything I know on the subject.... won't take long at all. :D

14. Bill Vincent

Bill Vincent Charter Member

THey don't call him "Da Man" for nothin!! As for inspection services, most likely they want an engineering background. I know that's extremely important in becoming a tile inspector. Dave showed me an example of the questions that could be expected on the inspector's exam one time at CTEF, and 99% of what I saw had to do with engineering equations.

15. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Hey Bill, welcome to the site, I've seen ya at the JB site for quite a while, good to have you here!

16. selvalee

hello

hey!
    listen, went to his class both installation, crack and sound suppression, and inspection, later I was there for two days of a three day advance inspection class,

when you leave, you know the books , how to use them,,,we had study classes each night for about four hours,, so, we were "tiled for 12 hours a day" for four days,

there are equalation but, not that hard,,,, it can get involved but I know you can do it,,, if you can figure out tile layouts, you can do it,, if I can do it, I KNOW you can do it, me and math are like 1 + 3 =2, so, I know you can do it,,,,,,,

with any type of hard surface installation/complaint-inspectiton,, more and more we have to know about how the subfloors were constructed and performance of the materials used...

if Mr. Admint will allow, maybe someone will start a thread here or somewhere on what materials should be used, and what stress loads, dead load and so on,, I read it a lot but not sure if I really understand it a lot,,, maybe YOU can do it and teach us?

17. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

But you are Mr. Guide here and know what is best to help educate and guide your members. If it is about inspections you can have a thread created here about any aspect of it (you don't have to start it, ask a knowledgeable member to). If it is about tile, installation or preparation discuss the possibilities with another Mr. Guide Bud Cline about starting a thread in his forum. If you need any help just ask.

:good:

18. Jim Carlin

Jim Carlin Charter Member

Hi Bill,
    Glad to see ya over here.
    I have taken the Inspectors Course at CTEF, passed the exam and hold a certificate. A person does need to keep active with educating oneself on a continuing bases. Since the technology of the tile and stone industry is changing at a ever increasing rate, this alone has become almost a full time job.
    The only thing we as Independent Inspectors and Consultants have going for us is our integerity. When a client hires a Inspector or Consultant, they expect the very best they can afford. These are situations where BS doesn't count. When you state something, you need to back it up. Since everyone is lawsuite happy these days, It only take one case lost in court due to BS or a wrong call on your part to watch your career go up in flames. Not to mention your O/E Ins. either skyrocket in premiums or be cancelled.
    This end of the industry is not for the 'faint of heart' if you know what I mean:)

19. selvalee

Mr. Gobis

I like the way you say, hold a certificate,,
    Dave , CTEF, and TCA, are strict about only issuing a certificate of completion, not a certification,,or they were at one time,,
    Dave did not seem to teach a "point the finger" class, which I like,

20. Jim Carlin

Jim Carlin Charter Member

I have both, as you mentioned. The first is a certificate of completion. ( I showed up and hopefully learned something) The second Certificate is for taking, and successfuly passing the exam at a later date. This simply tells the world you have knowledge in your particular field of expertise. The rest of this scenario is what you do with it.
    Your correct about Dave and CTEF, He is one extremely knowledgeable person. Dave doesn't shoot from the hip, He knows of what He speaks. This goes back to the credibility thing I said in the other post.

Jim